Is this normal?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I'm currently trying to find a grinding noise coming from the rear. As I'm looking for something that may be rubbing I see this hole in my driveshafts joint. There is another hole on the opposite side but not in the same place. Never noticed it before and unsure how it would have gotten there unless that's how it comes from factory. Just curious if these holes serve a purpose or abnormal. 20181010_180854.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So I'm currently trying to find a grinding noise coming from the rear. As I'm looking for something that may be rubbing I see this hole in my driveshafts joint. There is another hole on the opposite side but not in the same place. Never noticed it before and unsure how it would have gotten there unless that's how it comes from factory. Just curious if these holes serve a purpose or abnormal. View attachment 312394

Hard to tell from the pic but if memory serves me correct, the factory yoke has a couple holes in. I remember pushing my driveshaft out of the yoke with a punch through one of those holes. Did you check that your brake backing plates aren’t running on the rotor?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Hard to tell from the pic but if memory serves me correct, the factory yoke has a couple holes in. I remember pushing my driveshaft out of the yoke with a punch through one of those holes. Did you check that your brake backing plates aren’t running on the rotor?

Thanks for the reply, figured it must be normal. I haven't pulled my tires yet. It doesn't happen everytime but when I'm below 10mph is when I hear the noise and once or twice the rear wheels start shaking pretty bad. I also have spacers and wondered if its related to that somehow. I'll take my tires off this weekend and look

I had a similar sound and was only happening at low speed and when turning left... until one day on the highway my wheel about fell off. Issue was that one of the lugs was about 1/16” or less from being centered so even tho I torqued it, managed to loosen and slip. I don’t have spacers but happened when I changed to bigger tires. I’d just jack up the rear to check if you haven’t already. When I did, the wheel was easily moved by hand.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Thanks for the reply, figured it must be normal. I haven't pulled my tires yet. It doesn't happen everytime but when I'm below 10mph is when I hear the noise and once or twice the rear wheels start shaking pretty bad. I also have spacers and wondered if its related to that somehow. I'll take my tires off this weekend and look

Also check to see if there’s any play in your axle bearings and if they run smoothly. Lugnut and spacer toque should be checked as well. The wheel shaking badly is definitely cause for concern and all those I listed above could cause that.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
My lugs look fine. I can wiggle the lugs though, is that normal?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So i just to need to replace the rear unit bearing?

It’s not a unit bearing. If you’re talking about wiggling the wheel studs inside the axle flange that’s different than the whole axle wiggling which would indicate a bearing problem. Can you be more specific or post a video?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
https://youtu.be/0pAxa_D7f_s

That’s just your axle rotating a little in the brake rotor from what I can see. Not a problem. Do you have any up and down or side to side play in the axle shaft itself?

Also is your caliper on there properly? It almost looks like it is flipped back and not fully on the rotor?

Never mind it was just my imagination. Sorry.

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Did you check out your spacers as well?

Yea spacers looked fine. I didnt have time to check all my wheels so I'll finish up tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. I did notice though that where my lug nuts go inside the wheels there was bare metal showing like it was rubbing. I didnt take a picture but will try tomorrow.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Yea spacers looked fine. I didnt have time to check all my wheels so I'll finish up tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. I did notice though that where my lug nuts go inside the wheels there was bare metal showing like it was rubbing. I didnt take a picture but will try tomorrow.

No problem. Let us know what you find. There’s definitely an issue if your wheel is wobbling at times. I wouldn’t stop until I found something. Post the pic you’re taking about but it’s likely normal from where your lug nuts tighten down onto the wheel. Good luck.

Top Bottom