i have a couple of rookie questions!

billybob990

Ok 1st i have 35" tires and i dont have full turning radius i will be putting on a 3.25" lift in a couple of weeks and i still dont think i can clear the control arms so my question is does wheel spacers take away from my strength factor and is there a limit i should go i was wanting 1.5" spacers. 2nd question i took the jeep out to the mud today and when checking my drivetrain afterward i noticed my transfer case had a little play i could move it side to side not much just a little and my friend said that its supposed to have a little play like that.3rd i looked at a chart for gears and it says to run 4:56 gears with 35's to get close to stock settings, will that still give me the power i need to power out of a hole or climb a hill? and last my jeep has a 3" body lift and i cant get it into
4w low, the alignment bracket that keeps the transfer case shifter in the right place is in the way, does it hurt to cut some of that bracket out? by the way its a 97 tj, thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok 1st i have 35" tires and i dont have full turning radius i will be putting on a 3.25" lift in a couple of weeks and i still dont think i can clear the control arms so my question is does wheel spacers take away from my strength factor and is there a limit i should go i was wanting 1.5" spacers.

No. High quality spacers that bolt up to your axles and then your wheels to it will be no different than you running new wheels with less backspacing.

2nd question i took the jeep out to the mud today and when checking my drivetrain afterward i noticed my transfer case had a little play i could move it side to side not much just a little and my friend said that its supposed to have a little play like that.

Well, your t-case is attached to a rubber mount and so yeah, a little bit of play is normal.

3rd i looked at a chart for gears and it says to run 4:56 gears with 35's to get close to stock settings, will that still give me the power i need to power out of a hole or climb a hill?

Yup, on a TJ, 4.56 with 35's is about what you would want. If you wanted a bit more power, 4.88 will do that for you but, you will be running high RPM's at highway speeds.

and last my jeep has a 3" body lift and i cant get it into 4w low, the alignment bracket that keeps the transfer case shifter in the right place is in the way, does it hurt to cut some of that bracket out? by the way its a 97 tj, thanks

Honestly, if I were you, I would cut down your body lift spacers or install 1" spacers and install a 2" budget boost instead. 3" is way tall and won't do anything for you other than to clear your tires.

billybob990

No. High quality spacers that bolt up to your axles and then your wheels to it will be no different than you running new wheels with less backspacing.

Well, your t-case is attached to a rubber mount and so yeah, a little bit of play is normal.

Yup, on a TJ, 4.56 with 35's is about what you would want. If you wanted a bit more power, 4.88 will do that for you but, you will be running high RPM's at highway speeds.

Honestly, if I were you, I would cut down your body lift spacers or install 1" spacers and install a 2" budget boost instead. 3" is way tall and won't do anything for you other than to clear your tires.

Thanks that helped alot i was thinking about going down to a 2" on the body anyway so i think i will now, i appreciate it!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks that helped alot i was thinking about going down to a 2" on the body anyway so i think i will now, i appreciate it!!

LOL!! Trust me, go down to 1" and run a 2" coil spacer lift. It's a much better way to go and one that I've run before on my old TJ. The lift won't effect your slip yoke enough to warrant an SYE but it will still give you more performance on the trail. Cheap to do too.

billybob990

LOL!! Trust me, go down to 1" and run a 2" coil spacer lift. It's a much better way to go and one that I've run before on my old TJ. The lift won't effect your slip yoke enough to warrant an SYE but it will still give you more performance on the trail. Cheap to do too.

Well the suspension lift that im buying is a 2" lift with control arms for front and back sway drop links and 1.25" coil spacers, its a rough country kit and its a reasonable price and thats why im getting it because of the price but im sure i could find a 3" kit and buy the spacer ill shop around

billybob990

Well the suspension lift that im buying is a 2" lift with control arms for front and back sway drop links and 1.25" coil spacers, its a rough country kit and its a reasonable price and thats why im getting it because of the price but im sure i could find a 3" kit and buy the spacer ill shop around

Let me correct my self lol its a 2.5 lift and .75 spacer so i could buy the 2" spacer kit, the lift kit and the body lift and be around $500-$600 thats not to bad

Top Bottom