Front Swaybar Disconnects Hitting Coil Bucket

In my fine tuning and problem solving of issues from my recent coil over install, I've notice the upper bolt for my disconnecting links are making contact with the front of the upper coil bucket. My thought is it could perhaps be they’re too long at 9.75” center to center (shortest possible). EVO instructions are to reuse the factory rears (9.5" center to center) with the draglink flip. I have the same contact on each side so don't believe it is a centering issue. With my research I've come up with the following possible problems solutions:

1. Control arms being set to short? Plan to work through the do it yourself front end alignment write up this weekend so maybe it’d work itself out then.

2. Take the grinder to the bucket to make clearance... already did it to the relocation brackets at the axle so don't have a problem doing more.

3. Go back to the disconnects from my 2" lift since they can be shorter. Only possible concern I have with this is that even at their maximum length I could only barely begin to level the sway bar out.

4. Loosen the sway bar mounts and shift it forward.

Took pictures at each side and also tried to get a straight on view of the whole front end because I know they’re often requested. Sorry to have made another thread relating to my coil over install, but I did fully understand and accept that I'd have issues to sort out after. Just trying to get some help from those more knowledgeable and be sure that I am actually addressing the problem and not just masking it (i.e. the grinder or shorter disconnect?). I can take more specific photos and some measurements if they can help. I don't have my angle finder on hand but according to the iPhone level, its at approximately 16*. I should add that the ride really has been amazing and I'm honestly surprised. I was expecting more issues and nerves but I found myself doing 80 down the highway yesterday without even noticing. Haven't done that since I got the Jeep.

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 133

jesse3638

Hooked
Id say take a pic of both front tires and sway bar from the side (perpendicular) so we can see the wheel location in the fender well and the level of the sway bar. I'll go take a look at my Jeep right now and see how mine looks.

jesse3638

Hooked
Did you unbolt the sway bar at all? Mine sits just above level and hit the inner liner not the bucket. I don't think axle location would affect it hitting the bucket.

IMAG2815.jpg
IMAG2814.jpg

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did you unbolt the sway bar at all? Mine sits just above level and hit the inner liner not the bucket. I don't think axle location would affect it hitting the bucket.

View attachment 313130
View attachment 313131

No I didn’t unbolt the bar itself at all in the front. I’d say mine sits about the same in terms of front to back as yours. More than anything I think it’s the bolt itself that is not allowing it to clear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
No I didn’t unbolt the bar itself at all in the front. I’d say mine sits about the same in terms of front to back as yours. More than anything I think it’s the bolt itself that is not allowing it to clear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah I was thinking it could be that too. Mine sticks out on the back about the same. That's odd. Maybe you can rotate the nut to see if it'll clear. If not grinder will fix it. As you can see my sway bars rub on the tube that sticks through the frame. It's taking car of itself..haha.

WJCO

Meme King
The sway bar's upper pivot point will remain the same even if you move the axle back. My best guess is the links being longer are causing it to rub whereas it didn't before. You could have worn out sway bar frame bushings, but I doubt it. I would use a grinder if it were me.

PEACEMAKER1

I am running the JKS quicks as well. I will take a look this afternoon and see what kind of clearance I have and how it differs from yours for comparison.

jesse3638

Hooked
The sway bar's upper pivot point will remain the same even if you move the axle back. My best guess is the links being longer are causing it to rub whereas it didn't before. You could have worn out sway bar frame bushings, but I doubt it. I would use a grinder if it were me.
Yeah I agree. I wouldn't go messing with axle position. Like I said mine swing just in front of the bucket and probably barely clear it.

PEACEMAKER1

Yeah, I looked at mine and they were just barely clearing. So to be safe, I just used a grinder to gain a little extra clearance.

Top Bottom