Engine light

tonywjk

Hi everyone....

Driving home my engine light came on, Uggghhh... I head to the autto parts store to do a free diagnostics to see what the issue is. The result was a leak, not descriptive at all. The tech mentioned a vac leak, possibly gas cap. I look and sure enough its loose. I tighten it but the light is still on, (2011 JK sport)

My questions are:

1) is there an easy way to have the light turned off

2) Do you think the cap itself is bad? Or something else?

Appreciate any feedback

If so gas caps are the most likely culprit and the easiest and cheapest repair. Just get a new cap and have the code erased . I just recommend you get a quality gas cap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BaddestCross

Clean the gasket on the cap and the top of the filler neck with alcohol. You can wipe a thin layer of chap stick or Vaseline on the gasket to help recondition it and get a better seal. If that doesn't work, get a new cap from the dealer - don't waste your time with an aftermarket cap.

Or maybe your cap was just loose. 😎

The light should go out on it's own after a few cycles, or you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the code.

If all if that doesn't work, you may have a leak in your EVAP system which can be a whole lot of fun to track down.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

tonywjk

Clean the gasket on the cap and the top of the filler neck with alcohol. You can wipe a thin layer of chap stick or Vaseline on the gasket to help recondition it and get a better seal. If that doesn't work, get a new cap from the dealer - don't waste your time with an aftermarket cap.

Or maybe your cap was just loose. 😎

The light should go out on it's own after a few cycles, or you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the code.

If all if that doesn't work, you may have a leak in your EVAP system which can be a whole lot of fun to track down.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Thanks for your feedback, i'll check tomorrow

tonywjk

Let us know the outcome. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Responding to everyone on this topic. I was prepared to go the route of cleaning the cap and using the chap stick for a better seal, (thanks for that). This morning i get in the car to warm it up. The light did not come on. I guess, as someone posted, that it'll take a few cycles for it to clear itself. It took two days of driving back and forth to clear the code.

Thanks all for your input on this!

BaddestCross

Responding to everyone on this topic. I was prepared to go the route of cleaning the cap and using the chap stick for a better seal, (thanks for that). This morning i get in the car to warm it up. The light did not come on. I guess, as someone posted, that it'll take a few cycles for it to clear itself. It took two days of driving back and forth to clear the code.

Thanks all for your input on this!
Glad it was a simple fix. 🍻

--

Top Bottom