Questionable CB transmitting quality

GreenMonster

Howdy yall~ Haven't been posting for a long time since our little girl was born (all you dads know how it is ;) ). Seeking for advises on how to test and/or improve my CB radio.
It is a Cobra 29 LX with a 4' Firestick antenna mounted on the tail gate.

From the past offroading trips I was able to hear some cars in front of me and the one behind me, but suspicious that I have been missing other conversations from the group.
Last couple trips I had 2 friends with handheld CBs and I was not able to communicate with them at all unless they park right next to me. Tried to turn to channel 19 on the highway and couldn't pick up anything either.

The readings on the built-in SWR meter shows very positive results and everything seems fine when I follow the factory turn-in, but I just couldn't seem to pick up anything at all. Have a couple offroading trips coming up, so I want to make sure that I dont just bring a cool looking box with lights with me, and it actually perform its function.

Is there any other way to check or is it time to retire this one and move on? The CB is about 5 years old.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

GM

J

JKDream

Howdy yall~ Haven't been posting for a long time since our little girl was born (all you dads know how it is ;) ). Seeking for advises on how to test and/or improve my CB radio.
It is a Cobra 29 LX with a 4' Firestick antenna mounted on the tail gate.

From the past offroading trips I was able to hear some cars in front of me and the one behind me, but suspicious that I have been missing other conversations from the group.
Last couple trips I had 2 friends with handheld CBs and I was not able to communicate with them at all unless they park right next to me. Tried to turn to channel 19 on the highway and couldn't pick up anything either.

The readings on the built-in SWR meter shows very positive results and everything seems fine when I follow the factory turn-in, but I just couldn't seem to pick up anything at all. Have a couple offroading trips coming up, so I want to make sure that I dont just bring a cool looking box with lights with me, and it actually perform its function.

Is there any other way to check or is it time to retire this one and move on? The CB is about 5 years old.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

GM

What type of range are you expecting out of a CB?
For mine personally, if I can't see the antenna of whoever I'm trying to talk to, I won't pick them up.
Make sure your mount is grounded properly as well, that's usually the biggest issue I've found with other setups.

GreenMonster

What type of range are you expecting out of a CB?
For mine personally, if I can't see the antenna of whoever I'm trying to talk to, I won't pick them up.
Make sure your mount is grounded properly as well, that's usually the biggest issue I've found with other setups.

I will check the ground! thank you for the advise!

Top Bottom