Throwing Codes - Please Help

CRTRGTR

Hey All,

So several months ago my Jeep went into limp mode while pulling up to an intersection. Can't remember all the codes that time, but they were all electrical related. I knew my battery was on its last day so I figured that was the issue and replaced (and tested as bad) the battery. All was well until recently. Now every couple of weeks I will throw a code or two. Again, they are always electrical something and they are general never the same one twice. Now this week I am getting codes every other day and multiple times a day sometimes. I was just trying to make it through the week so I can trouble shoot everything this weekend. Here are the some of the codes it has shown this week:

P0128 - Thermostat Rationality
P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent
P0652 - Sensor Reference Voltage 2 Circuit Low
P1628 - Sensor Reference Voltage 2 Circuit Erratic
P2127 - Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Low

I have also had some PCM code that I forgot to write down.

I know just enough about electronics to burn something down. That being said, I doubt that the sensors are bad or that any one of those codes is actually the issue. My thought is there is either something wrong with the PCM or a ground or alternator or something that is causing an overall electric cluster fuck. My first step tomorrow will be to start tracing wires and be sure nothing is loose or damaged. Anything else I should definitely look at, or try? Please don't assume anything is too obvious, as I know next to nothing about electronics.

Thank you!!!

PEACEMAKER1

Hmmm...that is a plethora of codes alright. In general they all refer to voltage problems... I think starting at the batt as stated above is a good start. Also go ahead and use a voltmeter to check that your alternator is charging properly. Start the vehicle and measure across the battery terminals to read 13-14 V during charging. Go through your fuse box and check to make sure you don't have any blown fuses. These are all quick and simple checks to start. A lot of times when there is something strange and erratic with electrical systems, I find the culprit to often be a bad ground. But if you are unable to resolve anything with the simple checks, then you may have to dive more deeply into investigating each code separately. Have you done anything to your vehicle recently that could have caused these codes? Or have you noticed any difference in the way it runs or drives? For example, the TPS code...does your accelerator work the same as it did before?

CRTRGTR

Hmmm...that is a plethora of codes alright. In general they all refer to voltage problems... I think starting at the batt as stated above is a good start. Also go ahead and use a voltmeter to check that your alternator is charging properly. Start the vehicle and measure across the battery terminals to read 13-14 V during charging. Go through your fuse box and check to make sure you don't have any blown fuses. These are all quick and simple checks to start. A lot of times when there is something strange and erratic with electrical systems, I find the culprit to often be a bad ground. But if you are unable to resolve anything with the simple checks, then you may have to dive more deeply into investigating each code separately. Have you done anything to your vehicle recently that could have caused these codes? Or have you noticed any difference in the way it runs or drives? For example, the TPS code...does your accelerator work the same as it did before?

Added an sPod recently but was getting the codes before and now just more frequently. I did check the battery connections yesterday and they are tight and clean. The Jeep runs absolutely fine, until it goes into limp mode from a code. Once the code is reset, it runs fine again. I do have the Superchips Trail Dash. That is how I have checked the codes. I'm thinking about restoring it to its stock configuration for a bit to see if that helps but I've had the Trail Dash for a few years. According to the Trail Dash I am running about 14.2 V while driving around.

One thing that I have noticed lately is that the engine seems to idle a bit low. Around 600 rpm when stopped. That might be normal though for all I know.

jesse3638

Hooked
As mentioned sounds like a voltage issue. Make sure your connections are not to the nut that we used the battery cable to the terminal. Also sound like your battery could be on its way out. Mine began to crank slow and idle low kn initial start up whenine was going bad. It barely made it 2.5 years.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

CRTRGTR

As mentioned sounds like a voltage issue. Make sure your connections are not to the nut that we used the battery cable to the terminal. Also sound like your battery could be on its way out. Mine began to crank slow and idle low kn initial start up whenine was going bad. It barely made it 2.5 years.

My battery is only 6 months old. Not that that can't still be the issue. If I understand you are saying to be sure I didn't connect anything to the nut for tightening the battery cable. I didn't, but i will also be double checking just in case :)

jesse3638

Hooked
My battery is only 6 months old. Not that that can't still be the issue. If I understand you are saying to be sure I didn't connect anything to the nut for tightening the battery cable. I didn't, but i will also be double checking just in case :)
Batteries these days are crap and the life expectancy isn't very good. You can always take it to a local auto parts store and have them check it. Yeah if I remember correctly it's the tapered bolt on the top. Sorry no pics of it isn't helping..haha.

Top Bottom