P0404 (EGR valve)

JeepDrum

There's a ton of great info in that thread. I don't think I would have been able to complete the job if it wasn't for some great tips others mentioned. I have a manual so I didn't have to worry about the automatic trans tube in the way. You'll definitely want a stubby ratcheting wrench. Remove the wheel and fender liner and go at it that way. The back (hidden) bolt is a giant pain. Someone mentioned getting the other bolts off then actually rocking the whole egr valve to break the bolt loose. It's tight and there really isn't much room for a lot of leverage back there. Make sure the new egr comes with new bolts just in case.

^^^ as stated the back bolt is a pain in the ass to get at, small hands defiantly help, I used one of the write ups on here to do mine in june. it was on the 3.8 see post that WJCO put a link too

Last edited:

ammojustin

For those that had this code, did changing the valve prevent the code from coming back. I really don’t wanna go through the pain to find out there was a fuse or shorted wire that I could have found

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

woof359

blinking ?

P0404, miss fire cly 4,..... could be a valve, could be a plug, coil ,injector, wiring, ECU, plug and coil you can check by swapping them with other clys, the rest you ll need to replace parts and do a cly leak down test

Top Bottom