7 pin trailer tow harness through switch panel

LasVegasJK

I bought the mopar wiring harness for 7 pin trailer connection.
Can I wire the power for the 12v accessory and the electric trailer brake through my switch panel? So I can have it on or off as needed.
So basically, I want to plug the wires into my switch panel instead of direct to the battery.
Yes, or no?
I’m installing for an off-road trailer that has 12v accessories. I want another way to disconnect the power from the Jeep. In case I forget to unplug the harness. Because, sometimes I forget shit. The switch panel will automatically cut power draw from the Jeep when the ignition is off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

toyotire

I bought the mopar wiring harness for 7 pin trailer connection.
Can I wire the power for the 12v accessory and the electric trailer brake through my switch panel? So I can have it on or off as needed.
So basically, I want to plug the wires into my switch panel instead of direct to the battery.
Yes, or no?
I’m installing for an off-road trailer that has 12v accessories. I want another way to disconnect the power from the Jeep. In case I forget to unplug the harness. Because, sometimes I forget shit. The switch panel will automatically cut power draw from the Jeep when the ignition is off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

seems reasonable. I have installed a couple and never had an issue running the battery down but I also remember to unhook when parked of periods of time. hardest thing and scariest thing is tying into the stop light switch. that stupid small skinny wire is about impossible to get at and seems like something that can be easily damaged. I wish there was a better way to tie to that wire.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I ran the power wire from the 7 pin harness to a switched source. My reasoning was that I chould shut off the trailer power lead, which charges the camper battery without having to unplug the trailer. The problem is the running lights are also powered off that lead though one of the relays in the harness. So if I forgot to turn on the trailer power, I was driving around with no trailer lights. I ended up wiring direct to the battery and using that switch for something else (rock lights?). If I'm going to sit for awhile while hitched, I unplug the camper.

Willys17

One thing to consider is if you wire brake controller to switch it will lose the calibration each time you kill power to it (possibly not true for all controllers).

Top Bottom