Tie rod choices...steel or aluminum?

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I’m looking to upgrade my tie rod. Looking for for recommendations on either steel or aluminum. Is one better than the other or is it just preference? Since I’m on 37’s should it have 1 ton ends?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Get a hold of Bubba at Exodus. He's making me a new one. ;)

Yep. Finally getting the first run started tomorrow.

I used to be all about the DOM, but now I’m manufacturing them out of 1.5” 7075 aluminum. Which is better? Well it all comes down to money. If you’re on a budget and can DIY the tie rod, then the RuffStuff kit is a no brainer. It’s relatively cheap and if done right can be a damn nice, strong tie rod. Some people claim they bend easy but I’ve never had any of the ones I’ve built and install have any issues. However, they are heavy and I ALWAYS tig welded the bungs in which is time consuming. 3 passes on a good size bevel takes time. Also, due to the weight they are more costly to shop.

7075 aluminum is light and has an awesome shear strength. The weight difference makes it a great option for shipping. The machinability and therefore lack of welding means the actual labor involved in production is greatly reduced. If the material itself wasn’t so expensive they would be almost the price or cheaper than the DOM tie rods. What’s different about the ones I’m building vs the other guys? A few things.

1) We’ve noticed that the other aluminum tie rods out there are a too short, so the actual tie rod ends are too exposed and will bend on the body of the threads.

2) Our threads are not cut, they are formed. By using a form tap we are able to create threads that are stronger because they’re more dense. They’re also smooth and therefore will resist galling.

3) We have options for a finish. The basic aluminum tie rod has a raw finish. That’s fine for us southern and west coasters, but for those in the rust belt it could be a nightmare. Therefore we will have the extreme duty option that will have a finish on it resistant to salt and other abrasive road elements. More info on that will be available in the coming weeks.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

I used to be all about the DOM, but now I’m manufacturing them out of 1.5” 7075 aluminum. Which is better? Well it all comes down to money. If you’re on a budget and can DIY the tie rod, then the RuffStuff kit is a no brainer. It’s relatively cheap and if done right can be a damn nice, strong tie rod. Some people claim they bend easy but I’ve never had any of the ones I’ve built and install have any issues. However, they are heavy and I ALWAYS tig welded the bungs in which is time consuming. 3 passes on a good size bevel takes time. Also, due to the weight they are more costly to shop.

7075 aluminum is light and has an awesome shear strength. The weight difference makes it a great option for shipping. The machinability and therefore lack of welding means the actual labor involved in production is greatly reduced. If the material itself wasn’t so expensive they would be almost the price or cheaper than the DOM tie rods. What’s different about the ones I’m building vs the other guys? A few things.

1) We’ve noticed that the other aluminum tie rods out there are a too short, so the actual tie rod ends are too exposed and will bend on the body of the threads.

2) Our threads are not cut, they are formed. By using a form tap we are able to create threads that are stronger because they’re more dense. They’re also smooth and therefore will resist galling.

3) We have options for a finish. The basic aluminum tie rod has a raw finish. That’s fine for us southern and west coasters, but for those in the rust belt it could be a nightmare. Therefore we will have the extreme duty option that will have a finish on it resistant to salt and other abrasive road elements. More info on that will be available in the coming weeks.

That’s a lot to absorb. Thanks for the info Exodus. If you don’t mind me asking what’s your tie rod price? You can DM me the price if you want.

Andy5160

Hooked

Wow that’s awesome. Thank you for the explanation.
Are making them for both JK and JL?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Thread forming explanation. I had to look this up as I wasn't familiar with this method vs standard thread tapping.

WJCO

Meme King
I watched the video. I'm still confused on what thread forming is compared to tapping. Is material added in the small voids?

Top Bottom