CB questions

Hey guys. So as I get out on trails more often it’s become clear a CB radio would be beneficial but I had a few questions.

1. Is there any specific antenna mount I should work with? I have the EVO hinged tailgate and know there is a mount offered. I’m assuming this is a ‘make it work’ scenario or is there a specific method to attach?

2. Is there anything that would prevent me from mounting up between the driver/passenger seat and running cable/ power through the crossmember/roll cage? I’m considering installing an overhead MOLLE panel and I like the idea of the radio being located here as opposed to near the rear view mirror. Just unsure of what the space is like up there with the speakers etc.

Any other advice or comments that I may not have considered would be much appreciated. Not sure on the exact model yet but I’m getting a full size Midland for free so that’s about the only portion already decided.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Make sure wherever you mount the antenna you have a solid ground. Use a high quality single coax, do not run it closely to power or speaker wires, and if you have any left over do not bunch it tightly. Lastly you need to tune the antenna to the unit. If you don't have a SWR meter available to you I would suggest finding a nearby truck stop. Most have CB shops and they can have you in business pretty quick for not much in labor.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Hey guys. So as I get out on trails more often it’s become clear a CB radio would be beneficial but I had a few questions.

1. Is there any specific antenna mount I should work with? I have the EVO hinged tailgate and know there is a mount offered. I’m assuming this is a ‘make it work’ scenario or is there a specific method to attach?

2. Is there anything that would prevent me from mounting up between the driver/passenger seat and running cable/ power through the crossmember/roll cage? I’m considering installing an overhead MOLLE panel and I like the idea of the radio being located here as opposed to near the rear view mirror. Just unsure of what the space is like up there with the speakers etc.

Any other advice or comments that I may not have considered would be much appreciated. Not sure on the exact model yet but I’m getting a full size Midland for free so that’s about the only portion already decided.

If you are going to mount the antenna to the tailgate, make sure your tailgate is well grounded. I could not get below 2.1 on the SWR meter, once i got my tailgate grounded, my SWR reading was 1.1 on Channel 40 and 1.2 on Channel 1. Here are some pictures on what I did. You definitely want to use a grounding strap because they are braided. RF signals run across the tops of wires not through them.

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Yeah it’s coming with a cable just not sure how long. And I’m hoping the robotics guy at camp can help with some of the more tech stuff. Not sure how grounded the EVO carrier is on its own but I should have time to install and troubleshoot before I make real use of it.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The Evo mount works great BUT, you need a fire ring cable for clearance. Just buy the $20 fire ring cable that has the removable end on the CB side so you can snake it easier.

As mentioned, you HAVE to ground the carrier or it won't work. I used a dremel and got the bottom of the side of the antenna mount down to bare metal for the K4 stud to ground to. Then I went to bare metal on one of the lower bolts and ran a 12 gauge wire from there, through the tailgate and to a ground under the trim in the rear of the jeep.

View attachment 315360
K4 stud and fire ring

View attachment 315361
Lookup up under the spare for the ground wire to tailgate

View attachment 315362

I got good grounding to the bolt sandwiched behind the tailgate bracket.

The Evo mount works great BUT, you need a fire ring cable for clearance. Just buy the $20 fire ring cable that has the removable end on the CB side so you can snake it easier.

As mentioned, you HAVE to ground the carrier or it won't work. I used a dremel and got the bottom of the side of the antenna mount down to bare metal for the K4 stud to ground to. Then I went to bare metal on one of the lower bolts and ran a 12 gauge wire from there, through the tailgate and to a ground under the trim in the rear of the jeep.

View attachment 315360
K4 stud and fire ring

View attachment 315361
Lookup up under the spare for the ground wire to tailgate

View attachment 315362

I got good grounding to the bolt sandwiched behind the tailgate bracket.

Thanks for the pics. Definitely helpful.

So I think my shopping list will only consist of

Firestick antenna
Cable with fire ring
Tailgate mount
Spring (?)
Still have to see what I’ll have laying around to use but can always return the stuff I don’t need.

zimm

Caught the Bug
With a 37”, I needed a spring for the angle of the antenna. A 2’ fire stick on spring is even with the top of the hardtop and I got an SWR of 1.1

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm trying to get mine dialed in and I'm about to throw it all away. I ran a ground strap directly from the frame to the fire ring and had my swr down to 2.8 then after buttoning everything back up it's back in the red. I've run the cable like most have and and really frustrated at this point. Thinking I'm better off without one at this point..haha. Cobra 75, 18' fire ring cable 4' firestick, 48" ground strap, swr meter. If I can't get it it'll be up for sale cheap

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Check for a short in the cable. Disconnect at the radio and use a continuity meter. Then Check the K4 stud to see if has ground back to the battery. I've had both problems. I had a shorted cable once that fried the radio. Another time I had the stud put together in the wrong order causing a non-ground to the antenna. Finally, tiny adjustments on the antenna screw can make a big difference.

Are you checking SWR out in the open and not up next the house or in a garage?

Some more steps: https://www.rightchannelradios.com/...uides/18473439-high-swr-troubleshooting-guide

BaddestCross

I'm trying to get mine dialed in and I'm about to throw it all away. I ran a ground strap directly from the frame to the fire ring and had my swr down to 2.8 then after buttoning everything back up it's back in the red. I've run the cable like most have and and really frustrated at this point. Thinking I'm better off without one at this point..haha. Cobra 75, 18' fire ring cable 4' firestick, 48" ground strap, swr meter. If I can't get it it'll be up for sale cheap

Dump the fire ring and get a cable with a standard connector. If you crank those rings down too tight once they ground out and fuck up the system.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jesse3638

Hooked
Check for a short in the cable. Disconnect at the radio and use a continuity meter. Then Check the K4 stud to see if has ground back to the battery. I've had both problems. I had a shorted cable once that fried the radio. Another time I had the stud put together in the wrong order causing a non-ground to the antenna. Finally, tiny adjustments on the antenna screw can make a big difference.

Are you checking SWR out in the open and not up next the house or in a garage?

Some more steps: https://www.rightchannelradios.com/...uides/18473439-high-swr-troubleshooting-guide

Yeah I have checked and all was good. I'll check again. I am not truly in the open I was thinking of driving up the street to an open field. Will nearby mountains affect it.
Dump the fire ring and get a cable with a standard connector. If you crank those rings down too tight once they ground out and fuck up the system.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
This was my thought.

jesse3638

Hooked
Checked continuity from the center stud to ground and there is none so I don't think I'm shorted out anywhere. I have continuity from the outer ring of the cable to the ground stud so I feel I have a solid ground. Maybe looking into a different antenna. There is a truck part/cb shop close by maybe I'll run over there today

BaddestCross

Checked continuity from the center stud to ground and there is none so I don't think I'm shorted out anywhere. I have continuity from the outer ring of the cable to the ground stud so I feel I have a solid ground. Maybe looking into a different antenna. There is a truck part/cb shop close by maybe I'll run over there today

I'd almost guarantee that the taller antenna would solve your problem judging by the photo and your findings.

--

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Did you sand the paint where the bolts go through on your antenna mount, if not that is part of your problem, Should be bare metal for the bolts and washer to make contact.

Top Bottom