Headlights not turning off correctly...

I guess the first question should be does it really matter? Here’s the issue- noticed yesterday that my headlights wouldn’t turn off. Eventually got them off by turning the key. Since then I’ve pinpointed that if I don’t shut the headlights off before turning the ignition off they just stay on. If I turn the ignition off, then lights, they will turn off if I turn the key back to running. Digging around online i couldn’t find a whole lot specific to the JK. Some said it was normal (?). Possibly a computer problem and to disconnect the battery to reset it (no luck). I don’t get any indicator on the dash that the lights are still on or the dinging. With the keys out and lights still on I can flash the high beams but not turn them on. I have aftermarket lights (HIDs) but they’re months old at this point. I’m thinking the newly trimmed inner fenders let something get wet/dirty? Did hit a significant puddle at decent speed on the passenger side. Electrical stuff is not my strong suit so wondering where to start or just let it be? I’m even thinking of somehow shielding the engine bay from the hole... as much as I love the inner fender liners I can’t justify the cost at the moment... and they’re vented so not much for stopping water?

I dunno if it’s bad luck or that I’m having fun and using it for the intended purpose but I’m suddenly having issue after issue with the Jeep. I feel like the annoying forum noob with a billion questions.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zstairlessone

Depending on the year you can get a dealer to set the on delay to zero seconds or maybe use a programmer to change it. Later years may be able to from the dash I dunno.

My ‘08 started doing the same thing and I had to explain to the dealership foreman what I needed done and had to show him how. Pretty easy as they should have a Bluetooth receiver to plug into the Jeep and make the change from the floor on a laptop.

Depending on the year you can get a dealer to set the on delay to zero seconds or maybe use a programmer to change it. Later years may be able to from the dash I dunno.

My ‘08 started doing the same thing and I had to explain to the dealership foreman what I needed done and had to show him how. Pretty easy as they should have a Bluetooth receiver to plug into the Jeep and make the change from the floor on a laptop.

Yeah I thought nothing of it, that it was the delay as you said but minutes and minutes go by with them not shutting off. Come to think of it they’ve also stopped turning on when I hit the remote start. I could be misremembering but I’m fairly certain they used to because I specifically remember how blinding they were walking to the stairs straight at it.

ammojustin

Mine does the same thing. If I do turn off the motor first I just have to turn the light switch to off, the on and off again then they turn off. I have the upgraded lights too. I haven’t really been too troubled with it.

Coop

Caught the Bug
It should be a timed off. I have never timed mine but they shut off.
Have you waited to see if they shut off automatically?
Same with interior lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I've got a 17 and there are some settings in the EVIC menus for how long they stay on and maybe a couple other settings, don't really remember all of them. Ya might want to check there.

So sitting in the office I literally watched my headlights randomly turn on. Tried everything I could to get them off but wound up disconnecting the battery.

Reached out and have a new harness on the way. Said it likely is a relay issue.

Top Bottom