Manual Trans

Joeyd94

Currently have a 15 wrangler unlimited automatic. Thinking about getting a 2018 JK Manual but not sure on how well those transmissions hold up and if there are any known problems with the JK 18 Manual Trans? Debating the JL Manual any input?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Currently have a 15 wrangler unlimited automatic. Thinking about getting a 2018 JK Manual but not sure on how well those transmissions hold up and if there are any known problems with the JK 18 Manual Trans? Debating the JL Manual any input?

The JL manual imo is much better than the JK manual. But the 8 speed in JL blows both away

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JoeB-JKURX

That’s interesting, what changed on the manuals?

It's a different tranny (Aisin) with a cable shifter. Not sure about the ratios but should be similar to the JK. Manual tranny is supposed to be quite a bit stronger than the JK tranny and the cable shifter much less prone to failure than the jK linkage.

Edit: I seem to recall that the new manual tranny has a much lower first gear ratio than the JK. Would give a much better crawl ratio.

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
It's a different tranny (Aisin) with a cable shifter. Not sure about the ratios but should be similar to the JK. Manual tranny is supposed to be quite a bit stronger than the JK tranny and the cable shifter much less prone to failure than the jK linkage.

Edit: I seem to recall that the new manual tranny has a much lower first gear ratio than the JK. Would give a much better crawl ratio.

I'm confused, have never seen a cable shifted manual trans before. Gonna have to look into that.

ThatJeepGuy

Again all cables on a JK the tcase cable can break if you try forcing it

TJs and XJs used a linkage which sucked

wibornz

I have had several manual transmissions over the years. I did not care for the one in the Jeep. The gear ratios are real close. Meaning, I took one for a test drive and drove about 10 miles and shifted about 50 times. Fuck that all I did was consistently shift gears. It got real old real quick.

JKbrick

The jk is a stick that sticks down into the top of the trans I think, where is the linkage and cables?

desertrunner

The jk manuals have been known to pop out of gear from time to time. There are a few threads on here about it. My dad's had an issue in 1st, I think most have an issue with reverse. With that said both the jks I have owned are manuals and I never had issues with either. I test drove a JL 8 speed and it's pretty nice but for me I just personally enjoy driving a manual transmission adds a little bit to the sport of offroading for me I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

The jk manuals have been known to pop out of gear from time to time. There are a few threads on here about it. My dad's had an issue in 1st, I think most have an issue with reverse. With that said both the jks I have owned are manuals and I never had issues with either. I test drove a JL 8 speed and it's pretty nice but for me I just personally enjoy driving a manual transmission adds a little bit to the sport of offroading for me I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wonder if the B&M shifter fixes this, as long as the nuts falling into the trans issue got fixed. Scared me away from buying one

Parks34

Most of the issues of the jk popping out of fear has been due to the design of the shift boot. In the cold it stiffens up and wants to return to center. On the contrary to looking like leather, it is actually rubber.

Top Bottom