Steering wheel shaking

perezx96

I recently installed 37s on my jku and when I get to about 40-50mpg the steering wheel starts to shake a little and I feel a tire shaking a little. Is this due to unbalanced tires? Or bad set of tires? Or something. Thanks in advance jeep

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Cooper discoverer Stt pro

That's surprising that you're getting shaking at that low of a speed with the Coopers. I didn't get mine balanced until I had well over 25k miles on them and even then, had no shaking whatsoever
until I got to much higher highway speeds, like 65-70. It's easy enough to get them re-balanced if they were already were done, but if you just jumped to 37's, you may have also magnified an already existing issue.
If re-balancing doesn't cure the problem you may have a loose joint/worn bushing in the suspension somewhere...

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I recently installed 37s on my jku and when I get to about 40-50mpg the steering wheel starts to shake a little and I feel a tire shaking a little. Is this due to unbalanced tires? Or bad set of tires? Or something. Thanks in advance jeep

Actually, I am having the same exact issue. Cooper STT Pros 37/12.50/17 mounted on stock Rubi wheels. I had them rebalanced and there’s still some shake. It felt like my issue was the passenger front tire, so I checked that wheel. Turns out there’s a ton of weights on that wheel, so I switched it with the spare that had less weights. Shake is pretty much gone. Still doesn’t feel perfect so I’m upgrading the drag link and tie rod.

Braxtonsag

Where do you live? Iv had my 37 stt pros for a year and every time the temps get in the 30s or below they shake between 40-45mph. It’s not a death wobble just a small steering wheel shake. It did it when the jeep was brand new and it still does it now 20k later. When the weather warms back up they’ll be fine again. I just learned to deal with it.

aermotor

Where you get them balanced has everything to do with it. Some shops do a good job at some shops don’t, they ideally need to be road forced balanced. Typically the first culprit of any signs of shaking or wobbling or death wobble is usually unbalanced tires. I have the same Coopers in 37s with 32,000 miles. They typically balance easy. I would start there.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I’m having the same problem they have rebalanced them twice. I’ve checked all bolts re-torque everything on the front end. This started as soon as I went to the 37’s 12.50 Coopers. Mine was shaking between 40-45 after the second balancing now 45-50. American tires told me that’s it’s going to be like that because of the size of tires. I know quite a few say they don’t even have their tires balanced. Does maybe the rim play a part in this?

Last edited:

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Actually, I am having the same exact issue. Cooper STT Pros 37/12.50/17 mounted on stock Rubi wheels. I had them rebalanced and there’s still some shake. It felt like my issue was the passenger front tire, so I checked that wheel. Turns out there’s a ton of weights on that wheel, so I switched it with the spare that had less weights. Shake is pretty much gone. Still doesn’t feel perfect so I’m upgrading the drag link and tie rod.

My drag link is new so I don’t know. My next step is replacing the ball joints I have 40k on my 2016

klemb

I've just had this issue on my jkur with these same tires..... 37x14.5x17 mounted on fuel rims. What we did was take each wheel off the jeep, took a rubber mallet and hit the sidewall of the tire near the rim itself while inflated to about 50 psi. We did this all the way around the tire on both sides (inside and outside). We noticed that when mounting the tires, at some points around the bead, the tire did not "seat" completely against the top "rim" of the rim. After we did that, we re-balanced and all is good now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

klemb

I've just had this issue on my jkur with these same tires..... 37x14.5x17 mounted on fuel rims. What we did was take each wheel off the jeep, took a rubber mallet and hit the sidewall of the tire near the rim itself while inflated to about 50 psi. We did this all the way around the tire on both sides (inside and outside). We noticed that when mounting the tires, at some points around the bead, the tire did not "seat" completely against the top "rim" of the rim. After we did that, we re-balanced and all is good now.

SORRY, tire size 37x13.5x17

I’m not sure everyone else has come across this but when I had my STT pro 37x13.50’s mounted and balanced I still had to play around with air pressure to get them where there was no more shaking. Did the chalk test, played around with it at various PSI and found their happy place. You may want to give that a try also.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I’m not sure everyone else has come across this but when I had my STT pro 37x13.50’s mounted and balanced I still had to play around with air pressure to get them where there was no more shaking. Did the chalk test, played around with it at various PSI and found their happy place. You may want to give that a try also.

So what psi work for you? Also what rims are you guys running that are having these problems just curious I’m running method.

So what psi work for you? Also what rims are you guys running that are having these problems just curious I’m running method.

I’m running ATX chamber pro II beadlocks. For everyday driving 28-30 PSI seems to be a happy place. Anything over 32 and I get some pretty good shimmy in the steering wheel NOT DEATH WOBBLE but they start to feel out of balance. Beadlocks are hard to get balanced perfectly if not downright impossible. But you can get them close and then just get used to a little bit of steering wheel shimmy.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’m running ATX chamber pro II beadlocks. For everyday driving 28-30 PSI seems to be a happy place. Anything over 32 and I get some pretty good shimmy in the steering wheel NOT DEATH WOBBLE but they start to feel out of balance. Beadlocks are hard to get balanced perfectly if not downright impossible. But you can get them close and then just get used to a little bit of steering wheel shimmy.

Was there less shimmy when you ran 35’s on those wheels?

Top Bottom