Rear wheel bearing test???

ammojustin

Can anyone tell me the best way to diagnose the rear wheel bearing failure. Without removal. I have it on jack stands now and haven’t really seen anything out of order yet but I have a squeak while braking coming from the driver rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Can anyone tell me the best way to diagnose the rear wheel bearing failure. Without removal. I have it on jack stands now and haven’t really seen anything out of order yet but I have a squeak while braking coming from the driver rear.

There isn't a rear wheel bearing. There is a rear axle shaft bearing. The wheel will have heavy up and down play if the bearing is damaged which is very rare. And likely you'd have a major seal leak there as well and gear oil would be all over the backing plate. Likely you just have dirty brakes or worn pads.

If your axle shaft end flange is bent, you'll have a squeak that occurs nearly every revolution while driving (not while braking) : https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/5487-bent-axle-shaft-flange

fiend

Caught the Bug

In my experience a bad wheel bearing makes a grinding or moaning sound, not a squeak. Sounds like brakes, as WJCO suggested.

jjlong

Every time I've had a squeak near the rear wheels it has been dirty brakes. Make sure the brake pads have an adequate amount of Grease where they mount to caliper.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I have in and out movement but zero up and down movement so I’m thinking they are just fine. You tell me

The bearing race on the axle shaft may not be pressed on completely thus allowing for a little in/out movement. Are your running factory shafts? I had this issue on my old aftermarket shafts before swapping them out. If you don’t see any gear oil on the backing plate/dust shield, you probably just need to grease the brake pad clips if your pads look okay.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I had a squeak that drove me nuts... I lubed, changed the pads and turned the rotors... Nothing. Still squeaked.

Bent Flange. Replaced it and no more squeak.

WJCO

Meme King
So, brakes are good and clean. I have about 1/8 play in the axle shaft.

I have in and out movement but zero up and down movement so I’m thinking they are just fine. You tell me

Normal.

Does my caliper piston look over extended?

Nope. Pads are wearing just fine and equal. But pads can still make noise.

Pretty sure that there should not be this much play in the shock mount bolt either.

That hole may be slightly worn out but shouldn't be an issue.

Post a video of the noise if you can.

ammojustin

Tried to post video but it wouldn’t allow me to. But I did just torque them down a bit more and it removed the play. But the bolts do need to be replaced. They have wore down quite a bit from inside the shock sleeve. I’ll do that when I replace the shock cause I found that they do not extend at all. I can push it all the way in and out without any return and didn’t take a lot of force to compress either.

ammojustin

The bearing race on the axle shaft may not be pressed on completely thus allowing for a little in/out movement. Are your running factory shafts? I had this issue on my old aftermarket shafts before swapping them out. If you don’t see any gear oil on the backing plate/dust shield, you probably just need to grease the brake pad clips if your pads look okay.

Pretty sure that I’m still running stock shafts and gears. Haven’t had the time to check gear ratio due to other more pressing issues but as soon as I can I’d like to find out. This was purchased with lift install already.

Top Bottom