Ram Assist Limiting

bhaner

In the works of fine tuning my JKU.

One of the things on my list is my PSC Ram Assist steering.

My Dynatrac axle seems to have less steering throw than the ram. So when you turn the wheel to the lock it looks like it is trying to bend the tie rod. It doesn't do it when you first hit the lock... But if you wiggle the wheel any the ram gives a good push past the range of the knuckle. At first I left the clamp on the tie rod a little loose. It was just pushing the clamp around. But I need a solution.

I thought about making a puck to go inside the ram but was unsure if this is the proper way to solve the issue. I really don't want to bend the tie rod or bust an ear off the axle.

Anyone else have this problem? What did you do?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Turn wheel lock to lock without ram and measure the total throw. You can have the ram throw limited by a hydraulic shop. And then you will need to recenter everything.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bhaner

Turn wheel lock to lock without ram and measure the total throw. You can have the ram throw limited by a hydraulic shop. And then you will need to recenter everything.

Kinda what I figured. Just didn't expect to need to modify this part. No idea why I thought that! Everything else on this build has needed modified! LOL!

I actually have a lathe at home so making a limit puck shouldn't be a problem.

RRam 004.JPG

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
If I set the clamp at one end of the throw it will want to push past the other end. It just has more stroke than I have steering travel.

Gotcha, I guess you will need to have the ram adjusted then. Seems odd to me because I have the same size ram on my D60 and never ran into that issue. The way I have mine mounted is different than yours, but I don’t see why there would be much difference.

bhaner

Got it figured out and fixed! Works great now!

I ended up making a 15/16 long spacer out of aluminum.

20181219_133550.jpg

20181219_133943.jpg

20181219_140739.jpg

20181219_140748.jpg

Top Bottom