Soft top vs. hard top

billybob990

Ok i have a 97 tj with a soft top and its ok but im not to big on it, i understand that its easier to take off by your self but i always have people around and i think a hard top would be for me, what do you fellow jeepers think? my biggest thing about the soft top is the zippers i took my top off today and the back window zipper is screwed but not on the good side the actual top part is messed up so my window is duct taped in now do you guys and gals know how i can get it fixed with out having to replace the top?:naw:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had and still have both but never use my hard top for anything anymore. Same was true back when I had a TJ. They are quieter and in some ways nicer but, depending on the kind of wheeling you do, they tend to just be added weight that throws off your COG and damaging one is a lot more expensive to fix than a soft top. Of course, removing a soft top is easier as you had pointed out. Using zipper lube will help keep them working a lot better and lot longer.

billybob990

I've had and still have both but never use my hard top for anything anymore. Same was true back when I had a TJ. They are quieter and in some ways nicer but, depending on the kind of wheeling you do, they tend to just be added weight that throws off your COG and damaging one is a lot more expensive to fix than a soft top. Of course, removing a soft top is easier as you had pointed out. Using zipper lube will help keep them working a lot better and lot longer.

Thanks for the input! i am for sure going with hard top doors, but i didnt know they made zipper lube, but i should have known they did because there isnt anything you need that someone doesnt make, do you know if i can take it some where to get the zipper replaced instead of buying a replacement top

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input! i am for sure going with hard top doors, but i didnt know they made zipper lube, but i should have known they did because there isnt anything you need that someone doesnt make, do you know if i can take it some where to get the zipper replaced instead of buying a replacement top

Yes. Your best bet would be to take your top to a sailboat shop or upholstery shop but, a good tailor can do it too.

Hellfire

I guess it depends on what you like to do. I wanted a soft top but got the same TJ as yours with a hard top. I can't seem to stay out of the mud :D and I find it very easy to clean afterwards. Other than that soft top is the way to go, hoping to pick one up soon. I just picked up a bikini top for the summer. :)

billybob990

I guess it depends on what you like to do. I wanted a soft top but got the same TJ as yours with a hard top. I can't seem to stay out of the mud :D and I find it very easy to clean afterwards. Other than that soft top is the way to go, hoping to pick one up soon. I just picked up a bikini top for the summer. :)

yeah the mud is hard to stay out of, we have been getting a lot of rain in ohio and its just to tempting my biggest thing with the soft top are my doors, they suck! when washing in the car wash and the zippers but im going to pick up some zipper lube tomorrow. if i could find hard top doors just for when its rainy or when i go to the mud i would be happy

Tcrowley

I like the soft top. Its alot easier to take off. I might invest in a hard top just for the cold season and back go the soft all summer.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wittys-JK

I have both and most recently aquired the soft top. I am finding that I have no reason to use the hard top as the soft top has proven very convenient. Florida is very unpredictable with the rain and having the option of carrying my windows with me in case it does start to pour is a great convenience. I run a spiderweb shade underneath and I periodically take it off but for the most part I love running the top up with the windows off and the doors off. I guess it comes down to convenience and how much you may like the quietness of the hard top. I have a home brewed hardtop lift in my garage so i can get it off and on in about 15mins, believe it or not my 08 soft topsometimes takes as long depending if I am by myself or if I have help getting off or back on. Good luck either way.

Overrox

this may sound kinda backwoods but... I use chap stick on my zippers... Works well.

Top Bottom