Lighting

billybob990

I have a kc light bar with 4, 6" lights with H1 bulbs there not that bright, ive always likes super bright lights just because i like to see whats around me and my light bar isnt that bright, i have it ran to the battery and am breaking the ground with a three way toggle, how can i get brighter light from them and is there any tips on the wiring, ive never been any good at wiring so i just did what i knew how to just to get them to work.

billybooster

What gauge wire are you using for both +ve and ground? How long is the power feed from battery to lights? Are you using soldered or crimp connections? Do the lights all rin off one wire or are they individually served?

If you take one light off the bar at night and connect it to the battery with a 10-12ga is it any brighter than when up on the bar?

Im thinking either the bulbs are just not that bright or the power feed wire is not able to handle the amp draw of all the lights and finally it might be poor connections and grounds! Of course a combination of these is possible too.

Start with an off bar, thick wire, close to battery comparison. If it is noticeably different, report back!

I'd recommend using relays to power pairs of lights , solder over crimp, multiple good grounds

LGPow2006

Are the lights in series with each other or in parallel? You should use a parallel connection for each pair of lights. Wire each pair separately to keep the current total lower through the switch or relay control.
Another thing to consider is if the lights are "flood" or "spot" patterns the power draw will be the same, however the perceived brightness of the lights will be different because the light is diffused rather than focused.
Relay or direct to switch is matter of opinion. I use larger rated switches with no relays to minimize failure points, however I will likely be going to relay control for my light bar because I want all the lights to be from one switch.

billybob990

I ended up just getting windshield mount lights the 2 lights I have now are brighter than all four of my old ones

Sent from my ADR6350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom