Some (probably) Noob Beadlock Questions

So after my suspension upgrade with the EVO bolt-on coilovers I’m looking forward to what I’m saving for next. Currently I’m leaning towards a set of beadlocks which means completely new territory to me. So far it seems the 3.5” backspacing required limits my options. I am leaning towards the KMC229 Machete and the XD232 close behind (which I honestly can’t find much about or picture wise if anyone has some they could share that’d be awesome. I’ve only seen them listed for sale on Northridge -_- and BBwheels which I’ve never heard of before). I looked into a few others but by the time I was done selecting the ‘options’ they were well out of my price range. If anyone has any recommendations for looking into please feel free.

Some questions or areas I’m looking for feedback and if there’s any other input I’m not thinking of feel free:

1. First and foremost my Jeep is still and will be for some time my daily driver. Are there any drawbacks that should cause me to reconsider the switch in terms of drivability or otherwise? I’d still like to have a comfortable easy commute.

2. One concern I have is being able to get these things balanced. So far I’ve struck out with calling around to shops and see if it’s something they do. At the moment the plan would be to get my current tires dismounted then haul them home to mount myself and hope to get them balanced somewhere. I guess one advantage of buying wheels/tires together would be having them show up ready to throw on.

3. Right now I’ve got 33” Ridge Grapplers. My original plan was to switch them over as including a new larger set basically doubles the cost. I figure get the wheels now and by the time I need a new set of tires I can jump to a larger set (I’ve got about 20k on them). If I’m to consider stepping up at the same time what would be a ‘safe’ option considering I’m still on my stock axles (3.21 gears, D30/D44) and upgrading them isn’t currently on my mind? And would any further upgrades be required/recommended? I’ll say I’ve definitely noticed the difference that tire size can make on the trails now plus I think it’d look better and allow me to take more advantage of the suspension. The more I anticipate this purchase the more I want to go up to 35s/37s... probably come down to whether I can sell my hardtop and current wheel/tire setup.

4. For the rings themselves, if I wanted to paint them is this a do it yourself type thing or find somewhere to get them powder coated? I’m in Florida for the holidays and now definitely wanna match the rings to the body as I’ve seen a Gobi Jeep parked with this set up and it was very nice. Gotta try to stop for a pic before leave.

5. Are there any maintenance or wear issues I should be aware of other than obvious things like checking bolts? Either vehicle, wheel, tire wise as a result of the switch to beadlocks?

6. Similar to lifting the Jeep , is there any aspect that’s a “because of the beadlocks I need/should do ‘xyz’ to the vehicle for ‘xyz’ reasons”? I guess the same question would go for increasing the tire size also.

Sorry this is so long, but I’ve had some time to think about this so a lot of stuff has popped in my head. Hopefully overthinking it makes it easier when I pull the trigger as it did with the coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
So after my suspension upgrade with the EVO bolt-on coilovers I’m looking forward to what I’m saving for next. Currently I’m leaning towards a set of beadlocks which means completely new territory to me. So far it seems the 3.5” backspacing required limits my options. I am leaning towards the KMC229 Machete and the XD232 close behind (which I honestly can’t find much about or picture wise if anyone has some they could share that’d be awesome. I’ve only seen them listed for sale on Northridge -_- and BBwheels which I’ve never heard of before). I looked into a few others but by the time I was done selecting the ‘options’ they were well out of my price range. If anyone has any recommendations for looking into please feel free.

Some questions or areas I’m looking for feedback and if there’s any other input I’m not thinking of feel free:

1. First and foremost my Jeep is still and will be for some time my daily driver. Are there any drawbacks that should cause me to reconsider the switch in terms of drivability or otherwise? I’d still like to have a comfortable easy commute.

2. One concern I have is being able to get these things balanced. So far I’ve struck out with calling around to shops and see if it’s something they do. At the moment the plan would be to get my current tires dismounted then haul them home to mount myself and hope to get them balanced somewhere. I guess one advantage of buying wheels/tires together would be having them show up ready to throw on.

3. Right now I’ve got 33” Ridge Grapplers. My original plan was to switch them over as including a new larger set basically doubles the cost. I figure get the wheels now and by the time I need a new set of tires I can jump to a larger set (I’ve got about 20k on them). If I’m to consider stepping up at the same time what would be a ‘safe’ option considering I’m still on my stock axles (3.21 gears, D30/D44) and upgrading them isn’t currently on my mind? And would any further upgrades be required/recommended? I’ll say I’ve definitely noticed the difference that tire size can make on the trails now plus I think it’d look better and allow me to take more advantage of the suspension. The more I anticipate this purchase the more I want to go up to 35s/37s... probably come down to whether I can sell my hardtop and current wheel/tire setup.

4. For the rings themselves, if I wanted to paint them is this a do it yourself type thing or find somewhere to get them powder coated? I’m in Florida for the holidays and now definitely wanna match the rings to the body as I’ve seen a Gobi Jeep parked with this set up and it was very nice. Gotta try to stop for a pic before leave.

5. Are there any maintenance or wear issues I should be aware of other than obvious things like checking bolts? Either vehicle, wheel, tire wise as a result of the switch to beadlocks?

6. Similar to lifting the Jeep , is there any aspect that’s a “because of the beadlocks I need/should do ‘xyz’ to the vehicle for ‘xyz’ reasons”? I guess the same question would go for increasing the tire size also.

Sorry this is so long, but I’ve had some time to think about this so a lot of stuff has popped in my head. Hopefully overthinking it makes it easier when I pull the trigger as it did with the coilovers.

1. Won’t change drivability

2. Yes, it will be hard to find a place to balance them

3. 35’s is the max I would go with a D30, and c-gussets would be a good upgrade if your not planning on swapping axles anytime soon.

4. You can paint them yourself or have them powder coated, doesn’t really matter.

5. No maintenance other than checking bolts.

6. I ran 35’s with ATX Slabs for a little while on my D30 without issue. Some parts can wear faster like ball joints. Only real issue is that gear ratio is going to suck. I had 3.73’s and it was like hauling a trailer all the time.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
They are heavy, so your gas mileage and performance may suffer, but otherwise you can daily drive beadlocks, no problem.

Many tire shops won’t touch them for mounting tires, although possibly they will be willing to balance. You’ll need to mount them yourself, or find a shop who’s willing and capable.

Unless you only drive on pavement and are looking for cosmetic “upgrades,” 37s are not something you should go with unless you’re willing to spend thousands of dollars. Even for 35s, you’re going to want to regear, which will be about $1500.

You can paint or powder coat the rings.

There’s no additional maintenance, other than periodically checking the torque on the ring bolts. Buy the proper tools for that, and it’s easy enough.

SLO

1. Nothing about beadlocks will affect drivability for a daily driver assuming they are properly mounted. You will have to check the bolts occasionally but that’s doesn’t necessarily affect drivability. There is the consideration of them not being DOT approved but that’s a “risk” that most people take and don’t care too much about. The chances of getting pulled over and having your wheels inspected are slim

2. From what I have seen, there are many shops that will balance beadlocks if you bring them in mounted.

3. Short answer, I wouldn’t go beyond 35’s without additional upgrades. If you think you will want 37’s, just wait until the 33’s are done and you are ready to invest in axle upgrades.

4. You can either spray paint, powder coat or have an auto body shop spray the rings (if you want an exact body color match). Spray paint is the easiest to touch up. Powder coat can be touched up closely depending on color. Color matched automotive paint would be a pain to touch up. If you plan on taking it off-road (specifically rocks), there will be a lot of maintenance touching up. Just be aware of that.

5. Mainly just checking bolts

6. Beadlocks, no. Tire size, yes. I think most were already addressed.

Skeeterbait

I went with ATX slabs and a solid ring. Being east coast, if I could do it over, I would get rings that have drainage. Rain, snow, ice just puddles inside the ring.

SLO

I went with ATX slabs and a solid ring. Being east coast, if I could do it over, I would get rings that have drainage. Rain, snow, ice just puddles inside the ring.

Have you looked into companies like OMF Performance or FFR-FAB that make custom beadlocks rings? I know OMF will make them with drain holes.

Ddays

Hooked
Have you looked into companies like OMF Performance or FFR-FAB that make custom beadlocks rings? I know OMF will make them with drain holes.

Or just take your existing rings to a machine shop and have holes drilled.

Won't work on Slabs or Chamber Pros. I looked into this when the Machetes came out. The Machetes have the wheel cast with the bolt bosses and "cutouts" in the wheel itself that line up with the drainage holes in the rings. The other two have an inner lip that would still hold the water.

wheel.jpg

SLO

Won't work on Slabs or Chamber Pros. I looked into this when the Machetes came out. The Machetes have the wheel cast with the bolt bosses and "cutouts" in the wheel itself that line up with the drainage holes in the rings. The other two have an inner lip that would still hold the water.

View attachment 316984

You couldn’t drill small holes through that lip to allow for drainage?

Ddays

Hooked
You couldn’t drill small holes through that lip to allow for drainage?

Sounds easy but that's a mighty big job my friend. Frankly I wouldn't even attempt it. Those lips are about a half inch thick. It'd cost an arm and a leg to have that done at a machine shop too. You'd possibly have to deal with the wheel being out of balance removing that much material also.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sounds easy but that's a mighty big job my friend. Frankly I wouldn't even attempt it. Those lips are about a half inch thick. It'd cost an arm and a leg to have that done at a machine shop too. You'd possibly have to deal with the wheel being out of balance removing that much material also.

After seeing the photo you posted, I agree with you that modifying an ATX wheel is impractical.

If drainage is a concern, the KMC is a better choice.

Some XD 232 info

I just swapped my old wheels for the XD 232's you were asking about. I was impressed with the apparent quality and workmanship. The XD 231 like Eddie is running is polished with a 4.5 inch backspace. The XD 232 is power coated black and has a 3.5 inch backspace. Here is a photo of the wheel as it arrived.

Wheels-1139.jpg

I wanted to color the rock rings to match the Jeep so I went with rattle cans and painted them. 3 coats of primer, three coats of paint, and a couple coats of clear. I thought the cost of powder coating didn't make much sense since they will be beat up in the rocks. This way I can repaint if I want. The XD series is a little tougher to paint than some others just because of all the holes, but if you take your time and shoot from different angles its not hard to get good coverage.

Wheels-1184.jpg

I also upgraded to Cooper STT Pros at the same time and went with the 37 x 13.5 x 17 E rated tire. I just got them finally mounted up yesterday and I'm liking the look.

Wheels-1198.jpg

The machetes you mentioned are a very different wheel. Very angular look, two holes so you can fill and check pressure at the same time, etc. and more expensive. Let me know if you have any questions.

Brute

Hooked
As far as water retention is concerned, it is a problem...when I just changed tires on the JK6, there was significant corrosion on a couple spots on the sealing area that had to be sanded smooth. I have fairly wide rock rings, and after a heavy rain, water crossing or even a wash they will hold water...I just bust out the couple microfiber towels I have under the seat and swab them dry.

Don't worry about touching up your rings with paint...they look better with rock scars in my opinion...

I just swapped my old wheels for the XD 232's you were asking about. I was impressed with the apparent quality and workmanship. The XD 231 like Eddie is running is polished with a 4.5 inch backspace. The XD 232 is power coated black and has a 3.5 inch backspace. Here is a photo of the wheel as it arrived.

View attachment 317148

I wanted to color the rock rings to match the Jeep so I went with rattle cans and painted them. 3 coats of primer, three coats of paint, and a couple coats of clear. I thought the cost of powder coating didn't make much sense since they will be beat up in the rocks. This way I can repaint if I want. The XD series is a little tougher to paint than some others just because of all the holes, but if you take your time and shoot from different angles its not hard to get good coverage.

View attachment 317149

I also upgraded to Cooper STT Pros at the same time and went with the 37 x 13.5 x 17 E rated tire. I just got them finally mounted up yesterday and I'm liking the look.

View attachment 317150

The machetes you mentioned are a very different wheel. Very angular look, two holes so you can fill and check pressure at the same time, etc. and more expensive. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the pics. I’ve been leaning more and more towards these over the machete and I’ve seen them popping up on other retailers slowly.

zimm

Caught the Bug
You're running 33's, stock front axle and want to buy beadlocks? I would take that money and get a D44 front first. Wait until the tires wear out then get new wheels/tires at the same time. I wouldn't do all that work just to put a set of used tires on. Read up on self-mounting beadlocks. Some have had success, others (me) have not. After spending $500 for 5 hours of 4x4 shop labor to mount and balance, I'd re-think your priorities.

If I was buying new wheels, I'd get the KMC that drain water. The chambers hold quite a bit. After washing the Jeep, the leaf blower moves all the water from the wheels to my clothes pretty quick.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Use balancing beads for balancing, easy and no worries about ripping off weights off road.
Dynabead is what I’ve used for years.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

View attachment 317148

View attachment 317149

View attachment 317150

Looking awesome Steve!

Top Bottom