PDA

View Full Version : Gel Cell/Deep Cycle battery charger

SDG
12-21-2018, 08:16 AM
Hoping to help folks out who dont drive their jeep a ton. Now I must admit my jeep is a garage queen, it used to come out 1x a week to keep the battery charged. I had issues with keeping my battery charged on the jeep ever since I put in the genesis dual battery system. Anyway, if I went away for a work trip etc it would struggle to start and several friends told me their trickle charges didnt work wit this setup. I did so research and found this guest dual battery charger for deep cycle marine batteries... works great, charges and conditions both batteries.... just saying if you dont drive the jeep much this will save you some $ on the gel cells. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than the alternative.

WJCO
12-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the tip. I may look into one of those .

wjtstudios
12-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Thank you, Iíll look into that.

Have you tried to trace the phantom draw on your battery system? I want to add the genesis kit someday, but if itís bleeding power, it wouldnít be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

SDG
12-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Thank you, Iíll look into that.

Have you tried to trace the phantom draw on your battery system? I want to add the genesis kit someday, but if itís bleeding power, it wouldnít be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

I started to and then got side tracked. I cant say with 100% it's the genesis system, it just seemed to coincide with that install.

On a side note, I did find that I had forgotten to turn off my external CB speaker... so that had been on for maybe a year haha.

Brute
12-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Call Genesis...they were having a problem with their isolator, which was contributing to a parasitic electrical draw...I had problems with two Genesis systems and removed the isolator and replaced it with another type before I found out they had a fix

Sharkey
12-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Call Genesis...they were having a problem with their isolator, which was contributing to a parasitic electrical draw...I had problems with two Genesis systems and removed the isolator and replaced it with another type before I found out they had a fix

This is good to know. My buddyís Jeep keeps dying and he figured it was the batteries. I had a feeling it could be the genesis isolator.

SDG
12-22-2018, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the info Brute. I thought it was the isolater too. Looked it up did the calculation on draw then figured I was just imagining things... haha. Even found a replacement from red arc which is the company all the overlanders use, just never pulled the trigger. I will have to give them a call.

Anyway this is a really nice charger, I got a different solar one for my truck. I will report on how that one works as well.