Best model to begin a build

Snoopy

Please bare with me, I am fairly new here and I am still working on getting my first JK. After reading many of these forum discussions, I believe I know which route I want to go with my build. That being said, I cannot decide whether it is worth the money to pop for the Rubicon up front, or stick with a Sahara or Sport because many of the parts will be replaced with purpose built parts anyway. What have some of your experiences been? Do I really need a Rubi?

tREBs

I need to subscribe to this thread as I am in the EXACT same predicament... I'm looking at picking up a JK in early summer, and am having a tough time justifying the extra few thousand on a Rubicon vs a Wrangler x or Sahara!

bl17z90

Rubicon comes with a d44 front axle which is very nice, as well as the e swaybar and a 4:1 transfercase. Also you can get the rubicon stock with 4.10 gears which is nice if you upgrade to 35's or even 37's for atleast awhile. The d44s are also nice if you plan on upgrading your axles people buy used d44s.

So i road in my neighbors jkur and my jk sport before suspension mods were done and i noticed no advantage or difference in the ride quality either.

Dave_g

I went with the Rubicon because it has the 4:1, 4.10 and lockers at the get go. One day around the time I finish paying it off i'll move up to PR60's with arb's, but untill that time I'm still more capable then an X or Sahara.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I'm contemplating this myself. My next JK I'm building upo from the get go with 40s, Evo double throwdown system, Evo longarms, and Dynatrac PR60 axles. The downside is alot of the Sport models I've been looking at online don't have the options the Rubicon has. I basically want one that is fully loaded minus leather seats, since I plan to swap out the seats with Mastercraft seats. The xfer case isn't an issue since I'm putting at Atlas II in my build list.

Are you looking for a new or used? .

If your buying new and have a few thousand for aftermarket parts (5k or less) I'd spring for the rubicon. With a good suspension (EVO enforcer) a set of tires, side rails, front/ rear bumpers ( big tires on the tail gate are a no go), and a winch.
The rubi will take you anywhere you need to go and then some.

If buying used. Same situation. The only way I'd suggest buying a non-rubi for a first jeep to build is if you have 10k laying around. Front axles are expensive. At least if you bend the rubi you just need a housing. With the Dana 30 you will need almost a complete axle.

As for what model. I love our JKU. And personally will not go back to a two door. But that will come down to personal preference.

But what ever you do....... BUY a JK! You will not regret it.

StrizzyChris

First, what mods are you intending to do? What are your intended uses?

A stock Sport is the same as a Sahara but without fancy electrical upgrades. A sport model is more than capable model out the door for most peoples needs. I owned a Sahara and NEVER EVER AGAIN will purchase one. They cost nearly as much as a Rubi with none of the addded benefits. Only reason I bought it, was I got it for the price of a sport.

A Rubi has all the benefits mentioned above(4:1 transfer case, sway bar disconnects, D44 front axle, lockers, 4.10 axle ratio($150 upgrade from the factory), MT tires from the factory). I plan to upgrade many of these parts, but over time gradually. Until then my Rubi will hold its own stock, AND those same parts sell for well over double the price of sport and sahara parts. Also the Rubi holds better resale value by itself. I would do a Rubi only from now on!

ghostjk

I went with a sport model because I had planned to buy a very basic jeep and mod it to my personal needs. I got the sport and with the extra money I would have spent on getting the rubicon I used to get parts. I am replacing my front d30 with a pr44 and installing a locker in the rear. I plan on getting an atlas transfer case. I will have a very capable simple jeep without any extra fluff.

But that was my end goal. I understand others like the luxury of a "loaded rubi". I would just figure out what my end goal is, and see which model fits your build. If the stock d44 and lockers of the rubi satisfy your end goal, then get a rubi.

xflstl

How fast and how much money are you looking to spend?? If you are planning on doing a monster build, then the best thing to start with would be a simple used 2wd JK. If you are planning a slow over time build, with lots of wheeling along the way, a Rubicon is the way to go. If you plan to buy a JK and throw an additional wad of money at it right away, then a Non Rubicon is the way to go.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I went with a sport because :thinking:... I didn't read this thread :mad: Should have bought a Rubi :thumb:, Now I need to just add everything I want!! :dont_tell: Not sure what to tell the wife.:stick hiting:

Last edited:

suicideking

I bought my '12 Sport as my first 4X4. Barely thought I would be doing fire roads and am now doing a lot of rock krawling. Instant addiction. :rock:

I didn't have a choice in the matter (wife... budget...) and the Sport was already at the top of my budget.

So about 1.5 years later, I have now put well over $10K into mods and haven't even done bumpers yet. An early mod for me was a front axle swap. I got a near new Rubi D44 from someone that got a PR44 right away. About a month ago, I added a Viar OBA system and ARB for the rear.

So in hindsight, I would've been better off buying the Rubi to start with. However, my rear locker is better than the OEM. I don't have the lower tcase or 4.10 gears though. Gears will probably end up being 4.88 if I stick with 35's or 5.13 for 37's.

So if you're going to stick with the Rubi parts AND use them, get the Rubi. If you're going to rip it all out and put in your own stuff, start with the Sport.

Last edited:
I went with a sport because :thinking:... I didn't read this thread :mad: Should have bought a Rubi :thumb:, Now I need to just add everything I want!! :dont_tell: Not sure what to tell the wife.:stick hiting:

same thing that I tell my wife. "At least you know I'm spending all my money on the jeep and not on another woman, or drugs. Plus I'm home every night in the garage!"

You will still get :chatterbox: about it and :furious3: about the cost of parts. she will get :bored01: of you :blahblah: about the jeep and what your going to do. Some days you will turn to us for :grouphug: and some to :honey: during this process. when you break out the :honey: keep :dont_tell: or jeepers will show up to :celebrate:!! then you will recive :stick hiting::furious3::mad: but in the end we all :giveup: to our addiction. :beer:

suicideking

same thing that I tell my wife. "At least you know I'm spending all my money on the jeep and not on another woman, or drugs. Plus I'm home every night in the garage!"

You will still get :chatterbox: about it and :furious3: about the cost of parts. she will get :bored01: of you :blahblah: about the jeep and what your going to do. Some days you will turn to us for :grouphug: and some to :honey: during this process. when you break out the :honey: keep :dont_tell: or jeepers will show up to :celebrate:!! then you will recive :stick hiting::furious3::mad: but in the end we all :giveup: to our addiction. :beer:

Holy Crap! I think I'm getting motion sickness reading these two posts... :D

jhires

I think I'm the luckiest guy on earth! I pointed out a picture of Rubicat and said I wanted that! She said how much and lets figure out a budget to make it happen! :rock:

Tackerdown

Banned

well said. I point to a pic and get ( something else whats that for)

BlackKnight

there are a couple earlier threads including one of mine.

Like the other more informed, I look at what I'm going to do with it and where the build is going to go and how fast. If your looking to get wheels deep the day you buy your new ride, go rubi. if your going to play arround for a bit, and do a slow build where you want to be on the trail ASAP but "eventually" builting big, still go Rubi, and sell off the parst as you replace them. If you have the dough, but x or Sahara and expect to drop 10k to get it to rubi level and beyond initially, and much much more if you wanna go nuts...

But realize, opinions are numerous, everyone has one, and the only one of perticular consequence is your own. Weigh in on what people say, bt in the end go with your own heart/head...

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I bought a Sport and will build mine. If you are going to build and change gears, axles, suspension, wheels and tires. Wait a minute...I've changed some of those, but just 4 dr take offs. I'm afraid I would get hooked if I tried rock crawling then I would want a Rubi. It just depends on your needs. I mainly run logging and forest service roads.

GasStationGuy

I have a fairly basic 2008 X. I've been on the trail with both heavily moded sports X's Saharas and rubicons. To be honest in my experience they ALL are able to get to the end of the trail. The only big advantage that Ive seen on the trail are lockers. My $17,000 X with a RC budget lift and 35's seems to keep up without a hitch. I will be installing lockers soon though.:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackKnight

Forgot to mention, for me, my biggest concern was the drive train. I'm going with the 3.6 over the 3.8, and probably looking to by a brand new 2013-2014 x this spring. Though I hear rumors of a deseil and v8 version possible in 2015-2016, but I'm unwilling to wait that long, Hell I'm already chompin at the bit to get out there now...

Last edited:
Top Bottom