Off-road Conditions in the "West" vs. the faaaarrrr Northwest?

sm31

Attn: JKX Alaska survivors? :cool:

I've done a fair bit of research on my own but I'm feeling more confused than usual... I'm currently on the front end of my JKUR build here in Alaska but 99.9% of my off-road experience is from the Rocky Mountain region (in a TJ). I've spoken to a fair number of Jeep owner/builders here in Alaska but I'm hoping to find input from anyone with a bit of experience from both areas.

Mud:
At first, I expected some of this area to mimic conditions found in more of the eastern trails... mainly mud (which I am a little bit afraid of). However, the mud here seems a little different from what I fearfully avoided in the past... basically a thin kind of slop sitting on top of permafrost with chunks of tundra mixed in. And it's pretty much inescapable, so I might as well get used to it if I plan to continue my beloved hobby... which I do of course.

Rocks:
Once again, I expected jaunts above the timberline to mimic conditions in the Rockies... and they don't. While there are plenty of exposed rocks around, the majority are covered by a really thick layer of tundra... like do somersaults-down-the-mountain-without-injury thick. So that one has left me a bit confused as well.

Water:
In addition to mud and tundra covered rocks, there are a LOT of water crossings. For the first time ever, I'm considering some sort of snorkel... even though it makes my eyes water just typing the word. Are there any alternatives that don't look so snorkely? Vanity...

Snow:
Contrary to reports from MSNBC and the Huffington Post, portions of Alaska still have snow in winter. As far as I can tell, some of the local wheelers are more active during winter than summer due to all the runoff. I anticipate a lot more snow wheeling than I have done in the past.

Looking at some of the local builds, beadlocks are popular... but they are already on my list. I'm taking my build in an "overland" type of direction (and I'm on a tight budget) around the stage 2 EVO 3" Enforcer lift. Was originally planning on 35's but my concerns over all that soupy muck in the summertime has me thinking about the 37" E rated Coops, which would necessitate a move to the 4" plush ride coils as well. Gussets are already on the list but I wasn't planning to get too aggressive with the axles since I am also not all that aggressive on the trails anymore. Planning to keep the build as light as possible with aluminum where I can afford it, etc. Maybe alloy shafts will provide a little more insurance but I'm not sure. Are the 37's really a good idea without upgraded axles in these conditions, or are 35's the smarter choice?

I "feel" like I'm not going to abuse the skid plates as much here but I don't know for sure. Can anyone familiar with both of these regions provide input? Is this a place for me to save a little weight (and $$)? Was thinking of an aluminum oil pan skid, then relocating the evap and calling it done. But I hesitate to ask because skimping on skid plates sort of feels like buying a chinese winch.

Fender liners: I'm a fan of trimmed stock flares. Has anyone successfully retained the stock liners after trimming the flares, or do they have to go?

Off-road lighting. As a daytime wheeler, I've never felt the need to invest in them but yesterDAY lasted 5 hours, 28 minutes. So off-road lights are in my future if I plan to wheel in winter. Any suggestions for the most practical locations under these conditions? I don't foresee using them for full-on crawling or for high speed dirt roads... more for just tooling down the trail at a medium pace (thanks Mr. Sandler...). Is the top of the bumper the most practical location?

I am hoping to build once and be a little happy (lol wut?). Obtaining the disposable income necessary for the inevitable do-overs will be tough. That said, I'm asking for advice and input on wheeling through this weird place I now live... but from those who also have a perspective on wheeling in the west where I came from. I hope all that made sense!!

Thank you for reading this crazy long post!

Ddays

Hooked
I can't answer a lot of your questions but there are a couple I can:

You really shouldn't need a full 4" lift for the 37's, although you'll be much happier with a re-gear (5:13) if you take that jump. Throw some C gussets on your front axle & you should be good to go. Lots of guys run this combo, but again, be prepared for more mods going from 35's to 37's on down the road, like a DL flip, Hydro steering/upgraded steering box, etc..

As far as the fenders/liners go, yes, you can retain the inner liners with trimmed flares. I ran mine with them for a while but eventually yanked them off.

I like the Aux light location up on the A pillars as they are somewhat protected from rock hits. Course, this is if you have individual lights or pods. Light bars are another story..
2018 Insp.jpg

This^^^. I’m running 3” and clear 37’s with a slight bit of trimming and chopped factory flares. As mentioned above, prepare to do some preventative building for the tire size jump. Here is what 3” on 37’s look like.
IMG_2695.jpg

Brute

Hooked
I think Alaska is not much different than the Pacific Northwest where I live as far as wet, muddy terrain is concerned...

37's and a regear to 5.13 (I'm assuming your running at least D44 axles) is a good idea..I did have 4.88 with 37's for awhile with a 5speed auto, and it was better for fuel economy (but not much), and wished I had gone to 5.13...

A decent mud tire like the Cooper STT Pro's, Toyo OC MT's or BFG KM2's (or 3's now)...I've run all three and liked them (just getting some miles on the Coopers; so far so good)

As for the water, extend your diff and tcase breather tubes as high as possible...and I won't laugh at a snorkel...

Replace your stock headlights, and decent aux lights are not only good for seeing the trail after dark, but really helpful in seeing large wildlife before hitting them if you are on dark secluded roads ...it's helped me from hitting quite a few deer. I've recently downsized my A pillar halogen lights to decent led's, and there may be room on your bumper depending on which one you have...

I don't need to tell you that gas stations are farther and fewer between up where you are ...plan and carry extra fuel accordingly...not to mention serious consideration to your recovery gear and communication equipment...

Good luck man...

Attachments

• IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 108

sm31

Brute: Thank you for the advice! You're right... I need to deal with my snorkel issues and do what is practical. There are significant water crossings on nearly every trail around here. Next time I watch that wave come over the hood, it'll feel pretty good to have a snorkel! Did not think about the breather tubes though! Thank you for the tip!

ResurrectionJK: Your jeep has exactly the stance I was shooting for. And the flares are perfect! Really glad to hear that a 3" lift is workable with some trimming. My wife (lucky for me) enjoys our jeep as much as I do, and she clocks in just over 5'1". So anything to help that situation is a plus. 5.13's were going to happen no matter what since the stock ratios are laughable even on stock size tires. Also planning on some type of engine management system so I can adjust speedo error and play with the shift points on this 2011 JKUR.

Ddays: Thank you for the input on lights! I'm actually not a fan of lights on the bumper but I was concerned that it may be the most practical location. It's just my personal preference but I try to keep the front end as "clean" as possible. With that in mind, I was concerned that A-pillar mounted lights might not be as effective. I would also prefer pods over a bar so this is really good news! My concern with an A-pillar setup is simply getting the light out where I need it but it sounds like that might be the right route for me after all.

Thanks again for the input everyone!!

Brute: Thank you for the advice! You're right... I need to deal with my snorkel issues and do what is practical. There are significant water crossings on nearly every trail around here. Next time I watch that wave come over the hood, it'll feel pretty good to have a snorkel! Did not think about the breather tubes though! Thank you for the tip!

ResurrectionJK: Your jeep has exactly the stance I was shooting for. And the flares are perfect! Really glad to hear that a 3" lift is workable with some trimming. My wife (lucky for me) enjoys our jeep as much as I do, and she clocks in just over 5'1". So anything to help that situation is a plus. 5.13's were going to happen no matter what since the stock ratios are laughable even on stock size tires. Also planning on some type of engine management system so I can adjust speedo error and play with the shift points on this 2011 JKUR.

Ddays: Thank you for the input on lights! I'm actually not a fan of lights on the bumper but I was concerned that it may be the most practical location. It's just my personal preference but I try to keep the front end as "clean" as possible. With that in mind, I was concerned that A-pillar mounted lights might not be as effective. I would also prefer pods over a bar so this is really good news! My concern with an A-pillar setup is simply getting the light out where I need it but it sounds like that might be the right route for me after all.

Thanks again for the input everyone!!

5.13’s are a welcome change. And I’d imagine that being a 2011 it will help greatly. My 2014 with the 3.6 appreciates the help no doubt. Lots of good info on here. Build in stages and be honest with yourself in what you are needing VS wanting and you’ll save a lot of money and be better off. Nothing wrong with spending money on things you want and don’t really need, just be sure not go get caught up in that loop.

schnauzer

I don’t know much about the northwest but I do wheel in the salty northeast.

My first lift for 2 years was the evo enforcer, when my jeep was loaded up there was a serious reduction in rear height.

Also if your into aesthetics the springs after 2 winters and 6 events the paint mostly chipped off and the springs rusted.

Also if your into aesthetics the king shocks are not cleared and they oxidize very quickly in the north.

I have been running a synergy stage 3 setup with the 3.5 inch springs for 3 years now and everything has held up great.

Now when I load up my jk with the synergy springs i don’t seem to get much sag at all which is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom