Common failures help?

45caljeep

As I’m looking for new mods and upgrades I would like to get feed back on the common failures weak points to make sure I have them all addressed. Thanks for the help!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
As I’m looking for new mods and upgrades I would like to get feed back on the common failures weak points to make sure I have them all addressed. Thanks for the help!!!!

that's a tough one but I'd say the most common is to make a mod and think the Jeep becomes capable of doing more than it really can.
A heavy foot and not learning to pick good lines :thumb:

C-gussets - to handle the larger tires. avoid all the other trusses, sleeve etc... want a stronger axle, but a stronger axle.

I've got about 180k miles on my 2010, 1st mods I made were c-gussets, lift kit with arms, front drive shaft, 35's, tuner, gears

Since then i've upgraded to 37's with beadlocks, PSC hydro assist and Dynatrac PR44 up front, rear axle is still stock

Still on the same lift i begin with.

Hubs are my biggest recurring expense...

transmission flush once a year (37's and lots of miles), oil change every 6000 miles

I've had to replace front axle shafts once and rear axle shafts twice -- there are now vendors who warranty their axle shafts even for bent flanges, worth it if you plan to wheel often

Good luck and have fun

Last edited:
Welcome from a fellow Utahn! First and foremost I would say wheel it stock first. I know that sounds boring but it really is the best way to discover its capabilities and it’s limitations. If you bought it already built up then, same as I just stated, wheel it the way it is until you figure out what it’s short comings are. Beyond that there are some key points I think that should be addressed DEPENDING on what your end goal is. I see you have a Rubicon, so you’ve got the best platform to start with. The axles are fairly strong, however once you start playing on bigger rocks and running tires that are 37” or bigger, so areas such as drag links, tie rods and axles will need to be addressed. You can get away with doing gussets and sleeves on the front axle. That will get you buy for quite a while. The factory drivelines aren’t meant for the hard abuse that a lift and bigger tires will put on them, so they are something you WILL have to address eventually. The front track bar bolt hole in the bracket at the axle will eventually wallow out causing some issues. Keep that in mind. There are lots of fixes for it.
Beyond that the JK is great and has few shortcomings. I’m sure others will chime in so take notes. Happy new year, and again, welcome to Wayalife.

45caljeep

Thanks ... look at my build then help me figure out what I’m missing ... I know I need the psc big bore box and a heavy duty crossmember ... I’m tring to make sure my build boom prof for my 37”

45caljeep

Welcome from a fellow Utahn! First and foremost I would say wheel it stock first. I know that sounds boring but it really is the best way to discover its capabilities and it’s limitations. If you bought it already built up then, same as I just stated, wheel it the way it is until you figure out what it’s short comings are. Beyond that there are some key points I think that should be addressed DEPENDING on what your end goal is. I see you have a Rubicon, so you’ve got the best platform to start with. The axles are fairly strong, however once you start playing on bigger rocks and running tires that are 37” or bigger, so areas such as drag links, tie rods and axles will need to be addressed. You can get away with doing gussets and sleeves on the front axle. That will get you buy for quite a while. The factory drivelines aren’t meant for the hard abuse that a lift and bigger tires will put on them, so they are something you WILL have to address eventually. The front track bar bolt hole in the bracket at the axle will eventually wallow out causing some issues. Keep that in mind. There are lots of fixes for it.
Beyond that the JK is great and has few shortcomings. I’m sure others will chime in so take notes. Happy new year, and again, welcome to Wayalife.

See below added some links

The BAD Influence

Update

After every effort to clear codes and completely disconnecting everything, I took the Jeep into a trusted shop. Just received word the integrated power module is fried. Some kind of power spike did it in. Note to self and every one else: When doing any kind of wiring, disconnect the battery. A simple easy step....I didn't do it.

Top Bottom