Engine oil in transmission fluid?

dhughes16

A few days ago I had a P06dd code pop up. The engine didn’t seem to be running like anything other than normal but I checked the oil level and it was REALLY low. As I was on the way to Autozone a P0649 (intermittent camshaft sensor) popped up. I checked the connections for the sensors and added 4 quarts to bring it up to full (I do in-fact check the oil regularly so I know that this oil loss was drastic and somewhat rapid). First, I checked for leaks. I crawled under with a flashlight and searched all around the oil pan, transmission, rear main seal , etc...didn’t see anything, least of all something that would’ve drained 4 qts. Next, I checked the radiator/ coolant reservoir and everything looked normal with no oil floating around. When I pulled the transmission dipstick it was full and was dark red (it’s probably 6 months old). Everything seemed fine so I reset the codes to see if they would come back after the oil was topped off. So 2 days later, no codes popped, as I creeped up to 60mph the motor started to intermittently pause. The best way to describe it was that it seemed like the engine was taking a deep breath then going back to work. There was no jolt or clunk it was just like it almost cut off for a split second. No lights or code came up and was only happening above 55 mph. I got off the highway ASAP and checked the fluids. Same results as the first check except oil is a little low and transmission fluid is high.

I’m on vacation in anchorage and have to make the 6 hour drive to Fairbanks in a few days so I don’t really have any of my tools handy. But I have a friends garage to do some minor work

My first question is how fucked is my transmission?

Second question is have I missed anything obvious?

It’s a 2012 JKUR*

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Engine oil and trans oil shouldn't have anywhere that cross over is possible. My first thought for the oil loss is perhaps the oil cooler leaking into the valley and just hasn't spilled over the back of the engine yet.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
I second oil cooler/ filter housing. I know you said this happened a few days ago, but may I suggest crawling under the Jeep with a rag and degreaser and checking the oil pan, bell housing, cross member to see if there is oil anywhere around those areas. I just dealt with this a few days before Christmas and it was the oil filter housing leaking. That was covered by the powertrain warranty even though my Jeep was 4 years old w/ 80,000 miles on it. The part was replaced and the Jeep back 24 hours later. Seems this is common in my year of Wrangler and the part is in it's 6 design. I learned about this here on the forum.

dhughes16

That makes sense. I’ll verify in the morning but it sounds like I have the oil issue identified. However, would that be in any way related to the P0349 code or the weird acting up on the highway?

dhughes16

Someone on one of my local Facebook pages mentioned they had the exact problem on the highway as I did with his ‘12 wrangler and his lights were dimming/flickering so he replaced the stock battery and it fixed everything. Does that sound right?

jeeeep

Hooked
That makes sense. I’ll verify in the morning but it sounds like I have the oil issue identified. However, would that be in any way related to the P0349 code or the weird acting up on the highway?

If I recall correctly, on the 3.6L the camshaft position sensor does also affect the oil control valve as well as the fuel injector sync (which is causing your intermittent stall)

Did the DTC reader indicate which position sensor is faulty?

dhughes16

It says “bank 2” which should be the passenger side. Also, after letting the Jeep sit for about 18 hours I checked the oil. It’s significantly over filled, and I was able to get a light and a rag into the valley and there was some crud in there but no loose oil. That I could see. I’m doing a full oil change and then taking it for a drive. Still no codes have come up since I reset a few days ago but I might replace the sensor first if there’s no change

jeeeep

Hooked
It says “bank 2” which should be the passenger side. Also, after letting the Jeep sit for about 18 hours I checked the oil. It’s significantly over filled, and I was able to get a light and a rag into the valley and there was some crud in there but no loose oil. That I could see. I’m doing a full oil change and then taking it for a drive. Still no codes have come up since I reset a few days ago but I might replace the sensor first if there’s no change

hopefully it was just a fluke. I believe there's a write up on the forum an how to fix the sensor.

Good luck

dhughes16

Update: still no signs of leaking but apparently burning through about 1/2 a quart in the first 1k miles since the oil change. No codes or anything have popped so I’m guessing it was just related to the drastically low oil pressure at the time. So far so good ~1000 miles later 🤷🏻*♀️

Top Bottom