Rancho 9000XL Shock as a steering stabilizer?

rmilobrown

Hey Guys, I have an unused 9000XL that I'm thinking about using for my stabilizer. What if I fab up some brackets to mount it at it's mid travel point and set the dampener to 1. Any reason why this won't work? The shock is a front 99326 with 7.8" of travel. I would mount the bottom or ring end at the tie rod and the top, post end at the axle.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm sure others will chime in but, I don't think you'll be able to pull it off. Shocks usually try to expand to it's maximum length unlike steering stabilizers which stay neutral. if you were able to install it, the shock would always try to expand making your Jeep turn to the left when you let go of the wheel.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think you would have some sever driver side pull. A shocks dynamics are designed for rebound and are valved very differently than a steering stabilizer which maintains position until pressure is applied to one side or the other to dampen the movement of the steering. I don’t think it would work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Won't work properly on it's "side" the oil needs to get through the lower part of the shock. Basically won't dampen.
Sorry.
Also the the answers above. LOL
:)

Hey Guys, I have an unused 9000XL that I'm thinking about using for my stabilizer. What if I fab up some brackets to mount it at it's mid travel point and set the dampener to 1. Any reason why this won't work? The shock is a front 99326 with 7.8" of travel. I would mount the bottom or ring end at the tie rod and the top, post end at the axle.

Ajkaz

Charged steering stabilizers are out there and don't have as much of a pushing or pulling affect as most think. I used to run a Bilstein 5100 as a stabilizer and it worked great, very slight push to the left which I liked because of the terrible castor I had. Having something to gently steer against made the Jeep drive a little less flighty.

Top Bottom