Floaty Steering!!

SkylerMitchell

Haven’t posted in a while but I am in need of some help/advice. My 2 door jk has pretty loose steering that needs badly addressed. I have replaced the track bar, drag link, tie rod, and ball joints with all new aftermarket parts. I’ve also tightened the hex head nut on top of the steering box a bit, but not too much. I don’t want to over tighten. Not sure where else to look. Maybe in the column itself? Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Haven’t posted in a while but I am in need of some help/advice. My 2 door jk has pretty loose steering that needs badly addressed. I have replaced the track bar, drag link, tie rod, and ball joints with all new aftermarket parts. I’ve also tightened the hex head nut on top of the steering box a bit, but not too much. I don’t want to over tighten. Not sure where else to look. Maybe in the column itself? Any help appreciated.

Have you lifted it? If so, how much and did you fix the caster? Are your track bar and drag link parallel? What type and size tires and what pressure are you running?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Torrin

It sounds like you need to check your alignment to start. Mine was a little floaty, even with lower adjustable control arms in the front, I literally just put upper adjustable control arms on and it is all but gone now. Check the basic do it at home alignment thread for how to get started. Click HERE:

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Another point to check will be the input shaft on the steering gear to see if the main steering gear is shot. Reach up and grab hold of the input shaft going into the gear and see if you can turn it. A little play is normal, if you can get a quarter turn or more out of it and you’ve already tightened the hex nut, the steering gear is probably shot. If that’s still tight, then it’s further down the line.

WJCO

Meme King

Other members have addressed the best places to start. Also if for some reason you have an aftermarket pitman arm, make sure it's fastened properly and there is no play in the splines where it meets the gear box.

jeeeep

Hooked

ask here 1st before replacing parts...save you some money :thumb:

all good troubleshooting starting points.. IMO begin with caster, doesn't take much to makes a difference

Top Bottom