Leak

mtnbiker995

My guess is a bad seal, that seems like very dirty diff fluid to me...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hatewagon

My guess is axle seal as well. On your diffcover, remove the top plug right in the center(ish). Your fluid should ne about level with that plug

mtnbiker995

How do I check? I'm sorry if that sounds like a dumb question

Look at the diff cover on the front axle, there are two plugs with square holes. The bottom one is the drain hole the top one is the fill hole. You want the fluid level all the way up to the fill hole. That means your diff has full fluid. Other than just taking a flash light and peeking in the hole, I don't know how to check how low you are...I'd just grab a quart of gear oil and start filling till it flows out. You're diff should hold about ~2 quarts of gear oil from drain hole to fill hole. That will help you gauge how low you were on fluid based off how much you had to add.

To get the fill plug out, you can just use a 3/8" drive socket extension.

If it were me, I'd drain and refill from empty based off how dirty your fluid looks.

I'm pretty sure there's also a write up on WAYALIFE for how to change diff fluid too if you're still wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wvjeepin

Thanks, my friend just took a look for me an its a seal issue. Gonna be fixing it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help

mn jk jeeper

you don't need a special tool really
but you have t remove the front diff assy and the bearings/shims and the seals are on the bearing sides of the diff
if you need more instructions just let me know I just did mine as well as a bunch of other front end stuff

wvjeepin

Yea I sure would like the info, and thanks in advance! I got some quotes, and it way too expensive to get someone else to do it, so I'll take a shot at it. So the leak is inside the passenger front tire side of the axle, so the small seal, I have to take apart that side to get to it....I wonder if anyone in my area have done theirs before? If so I could use the help, I'll pay in beer and pizza?

mn jk jeeper

get the seals from the dealer
drain diff oil and remove the diff cover
remove both tires brake calipers, rotors, bearing hub assys and axles
remove bearing caps and set aside be sure to keep there location and what side was top or bottom straight
if its a rubicon you will need to disconnect the locker wires from the connector and remove connector from axle housing
have a friend help you and preswade the diff assy out of the housing and set it aside be sure to keep track of the shims and bearing races per side(you may need a small pry bar and a wrench on the ring gear bolt) now you can see the seal you need to replace remove the seals and clean the axle tubes really good
be sure to get all the plastic factoyr axle guides out of the tubes
be sure everything is nice and clean and install the new seals be sure to grease the lip of the seal and diff housing to help ease it in there I used a seal driver so that made searching for something a lot easier (auto store should rent them out)
be sure everything is nice and clean before you reassymble it will make things a lot easier
once new seals are in grease lip area that will contact axle and reinstall diff assy with shims and races on proper sides
you may need to use a dead blow hammer and tap it into the housing all the way
install bearing caps in proper location and torque to specs I did mine in stages to be sure they were seated properly
now grease the ends of the axle shafts and area where the seal will ride and very carefuly slide axle into tube through seal and into diff assy from there reassymbley should be a breeze just make sure axles are seated all the way into diff

Top Bottom