Rear Axle Shaft question

jjlong

Bent the flange on my rear axle shaft recently and decide to upgrade to Chromoly. Bought the Spicer bearing kit and it did not come with the collar/ring that goes next to the bearing. The shop said Spicer doesn't sell it because it's not necessary, does that sound right?

jjlong

Doesn't sound right to me. The bearing kit should include seal, bearing, and retaining ring

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
It came with the bearing seal and retainer with the for studs that hold it to the axle housing but it did not come with a collar that the OEM shaft had. It gets pressed on next to the bearing and goes inside the axle tube

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
That collar is there to prevent the bearing from walking off the shaft by doubling the surface area that has a press fit. Also, I have had mixed luck getting the seal to reseal after being removed. I would try to get the shop to replace the whole set, and not just add the collars.

jjlong

That collar is there to prevent the bearing from walking off the shaft by doubling the surface area that has a press fit. Also, I have had mixed luck getting the seal to reseal after being removed. I would try to get the shop to replace the whole set, and not just add the collars.

Will do. Thanks again.

jdofmemi

The retainer ring is a harder press fit than the bearing, if I remember correctly from doing mine.

The ring is a one time use item, you drill it part way and split it with a punch to remove it in order to not nick the shaft and cause a stress riser where it will break under load. It should have been in the kit.

The seal usually will leak if it is reused, in my experience.

Exodus 4x4

The retainer ring is a harder press fit than the bearing, if I remember correctly from doing mine.

The ring is a one time use item, you drill it part way and split it with a punch to remove it in order to not nick the shaft and cause a stress riser where it will break under load. It should have been in the kit.

The seal usually will leak if it is reused, in my experience.

Clean the seal good and coat it with RTV Black just before you bolt the flange up. Even on new installs we do this.

jjlong

Clean the seal good and coat it with RTV Black just before you bolt the flange up. Even on new installs we do this.

By using the RTV do you think I will be good with not having to cut off the bearing and replace the seal that was literally just installed one mile ago? Do you think I could just install the Ring?

WJCO

Meme King
By using the RTV do you think I will be good with not having to cut off the bearing and replace the seal that was literally just installed one mile ago? Do you think I could just install the Ring?

He's just speaking from a preventative point of view. You should be able to install the inner retainer without messing with the bearing at all. It will require a press though.

jjlong

He's just speaking from a preventative point of view. You should be able to install the inner retainer without messing with the bearing at all. It will require a press though.
Some people have mentioned the seal being a one time use only, which would mean I'd need to cut the bearing off in order to replace it. Just wanted to confirm I could reuse the seal?

WJCO

Meme King
Some people have mentioned the seal being a one time use only, which would mean I'd need to cut the bearing off in order to replace it. Just wanted to confirm I could reuse the seal?

I have reused seals with no issues myself. I know techs that will replace it everytime just to be safe. IMO, with such a short time on the new one, you should be fine reusing it.

jjlong

I have reused seals with no issues myself. I know techs that will replace it everytime just to be safe. IMO, with such a short time on the new one, you should be fine reusing it.
That's what I was thinking. The RTV is a good tip, though! I'll buy the inner ring and press it on tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Slimebones

Yes, just be sure to use brake clean on the seal OD and the bore on the axle tube to be sure the rtv adheres well.

Exodus 4x4

You can also heat the ring up and drop it on, IF you don’t have a press. This works for the bearing as well but preferably with an induction heater.

Top Bottom