Please learn from my mistake changing oil filter/cooler on jk!!

wernervonjohn

I have been lurking around here for awhile but recently decided to become a member to share this info with you. I have been working on cars since I was a kid (dad forced me too) and have modified, replaced or rebuilt just about anything on about any car or truck You can think of. By now im sure most of you have known about or experienced the dreaded oil leak that comes from the oil filter/cooler assembly. My wifes 2015 JK started leaking recently after 50,000 miles. Its a very easy fix (just time consuming) many videos on Youtube and great info on this site. I bought the part off Amazon. it was well made, looked just like factory. Came with both new oil temp and pressure switches. I installed it, hooked it all back up and turned the engine on. I immediately got an oil pressure red light and check engine light on the dash. Hooked up my scanner and I had 5 generic codes like throttle position, airflow, etc as well as a no oil pressure code. I checked the digital oil pressure gauge while motor was running and it was zero psi. After much thought, researching, talking and cussing I decided to take it all apart again. I compared the part # on my old oil pressure switch with the new one. The original part # is 05149062AA. The new one that came with the oil cooler was identical but ended in a “AB”. I swapped back to old oil pressure sensor, put it all back together, cleared the codes and problem solved! I know have oil pressure!! With all these parts now aging im sure most here will have to replace this part, please share this story so nobody else experiences this. Also my cooler/filter was not “cracked” as dealers have been saying. All 4 rubber O rings were completely blown out flat and had zero sealing capability. This also explains why I wud always smell but never see coolant. Take care!

USMC Wrangler

This also explains why I wud always smell but never see coolant. Take care!

Welcome to WAL!

That’s interesting. I regularly smell coolant but can ever find it. Reservoir needs topped off from time to time but nothing that makes me worry I’m losing much. One of these days I need to pressure test my cooling system to confirm.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Welcome to WAL!

That’s interesting. I regularly smell coolant but can ever find it. Reservoir needs topped off from time to time but nothing that makes me worry I’m losing much. One of these days I need to pressure test my cooling system to confirm.

Interesting, I have to top off regularly also but never smell coolant or find leaks. I should test mine also.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rmilobrown

Thanks for posting. I just did this job on my 2015 in October without issue. LOL, It did not solve my P06DE engine code, but I have no leaks and it runs fine. The question is, how do we test these factory sensors out of the box before installing them?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for posting. I just did this job on my 2015 in October without issue. LOL, It did not solve my P06DE engine code, but I have no leaks and it runs fine. The question is, how do we test these factory sensors out of the box before installing them?

A lot of sensors work based off of a 5 volt reference. If you plug them in and back prob the wires with the vehicle on (not running) you should get a signal. When the motor is cold you should see 4.7xx volts (or as close to 5v as you can get depending on temperature). As the motor gets hotter you will see voltage drop. If it does your sensor is fine. If it reads just 5v or just 0v then you have an issue with the sensor.

sm31

Great info! I learned several things very quickly:

1) A solution to the mystery coolant smell.

2) PLACENTia is a real place.

3) They have purple anodized heat sinks for oil filters. (Ad at the bottom of the forum)

;)

Attachments

• oil filter heat sink.jpg
    oil filter heat sink.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 194

Bear_JT

Hooked
I have a bad feeling this problem just presented itself to me. I walked outside and saw fresh wet spots under the Jeep. Upon checking underneath there is quite a bit of coolant drips and spray underneath. I looked as best I could around the oil filler and I can see some coolant pooled in the valley. Any one have ideas where I should start with this?

WJCO

Meme King
I have a bad feeling this problem just presented itself to me. I walked outside and saw fresh wet spots under the Jeep. Upon checking underneath there is quite a bit of coolant drips and spray underneath. I looked as best I could around the oil filler and I can see some coolant pooled in the valley. Any one have ideas where I should start with this?

V8 Swap....

rmilobrown

It's not that bad of a job, plenty of us have already been through it successfully! Great time to change plugs and inspect engine components!

Bear_JT

Hooked
It's not that bad of a job, plenty of us have already been through it successfully! Great time to change plugs and inspect engine components!

Thanks. I plan on changing the plugs while I’m at it. I’m kinda surprised it’s coolant and not oil leaking. Seems like most everything I see is oil leaking with coolant burning off but this is all coolant.

Top Bottom