Please help with choosing lockers for my needs...

TxCoastie

Hi friends.

Im upgrading gears from my 3.73 to 4.56. I run 33's but wanted the option for 35's if needed down the road. My 2013 JKU is the automatic oscar mike edition with the 27-spline dana 30 front and 30-spline dana 44 rear.

Im not hardcore rockcrawling but use my rig as a dd and as an overlanding vehicle and would like to venture more into moderate to heavy trails (utah, nevada etc.) without being towed out each trip. Nothing extreme but want to be able access most trails in my rig.

That being said can you help me narrow down my options regarding lockers? Detroit trutac for the dana 30 seems highly recommended but what about the dana 44 for the rear?

I would like to have the locker set purchased under $1500 if possible.

Direct links much appreciated as Im a Veteran with a TBI.

Thanks for all of your knowledge from this forum.

Last edited:

Torrin

Honestly, I wouldn't spend any money on the Dana 30. It really is a bad option for 35's. If you haven't committed to the gears yet, I would wait and try to find a used D44 front axle for a decent price and then do the regear then. If you have already committed to regearing, I would skip the lockers for now as you might want to think about upgrading the rear axles to 35 splines at some point.

Thank you for your service.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would skip locking the front. The Dana 30 is weak and the locker will not help. Based on your description, you’ll probably not need two lockers anyway. Save the money for a winch.

Lock the rear with something like the Eaton locker (link below). Less than $1000. An ARB would be nice too, but would be more expensive because you’d need to buy a compressor.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_1016.htm

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

TxCoastie

Thank you. So if I go with ARB would this setup suffice plus beefing up the rear axles?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190128-094036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190128-094036_Chrome.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20190128-085737_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190128-085737_Chrome.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 119

TxCoastie

Yes but you’ll need the studs pressed into the axle flanges and also the bearing will need to be pressed on.

So the Revolution axles are "Pre-Assembled and Pressed, Ready to Bolt ON," lifetime warranty, and made in the USA! Sounds like the right route to go regarding those rear axles huh?

fiend

Caught the Bug
So the Revolution axles are "Pre-Assembled and Pressed, Ready to Bolt ON," lifetime warranty, and made in the USA! Sounds like the right route to go regarding those rear axles huh?

If made in the USA is important to you, check out the OX locker. Exodus carries them.

nbunga

Caught the Bug

I had to thread the wheel studs in my revolution axles. Not a big deal though. I think they leave them out to prevent damage in transit.

Braxtonsag

Sounds like you wheel about like I do. My Jeep is my DD and we only make it out west 1 month a year but we like to play in the rocks in Moab, Colorado, Cali, and Nevada. My front Dana 30 is unlocked and my rear 44 has a trutrac in it. I had absolutely no issues last year going anywhere I wanted to go.

Top Bottom