Question on wiring rock lights

Hey guys, I’m considering picking up a few of the Lux rock lights but was wondering if I’d be able to (‘easily’) set one or two per side to come on when I lock/unlock the vehicle. Basically how the dome lights do... is there a fuse I can tap into? I know with my previous headlights I tapped into a fuse so the halo would come on with lock/unlock but I believe it was tied to the ignition and I rather not drive around with the rock lights constantly on.

I’m just trying to figure out quantity at this point. My thought is one / wheel all controlled together. Plus the 1or2 at each side below doors switched together to work as described above. If I got an 8 piece set I may put one at front / rear bumper or just under the hood to a separate switch as well.

I reached out to them to see if it’s possible to set up something like this with the Bluetooth controller/app as opposed to wiring/fuses but didn’t get an exact answer. Exploring the app itself I can’t find an answer either. Has anyone used the Bluetooth option from them? Adds quite a bit to cost...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've been considering something similar. Basically my thought is to tap one of the footwell lights and tie it into the rock light wiring after the switch but before the rock light relay. I'm pretty sure you would have to put a diode on the wire to ensure that power doesn't go from the rock light wiring back through to the footwell lights when you intentionally turn your rock lights on. The idea is that the rock lights would temporarily come on when you click the key fob and then turn off after the 30 seconds (or whatever the OEM setting is) that the footwell lights and marker lights stay on. I'm not sure what wire to tap in the footwell though. At least that's my theory anyway.

Please post up when you figure out how you are going to run the setup.

I've been considering something similar. Basically my thought is to tap one of the footwell lights and tie it into the rock light wiring after the switch but before the rock light relay. I'm pretty sure you would have to put a diode on the wire to ensure that power doesn't go from the rock light wiring back through to the footwell lights when you intentionally turn your rock lights on. The idea is that the rock lights would temporarily come on when you click the key fob and then turn off after the 30 seconds (or whatever the OEM setting is) that the footwell lights and marker lights stay on. I'm not sure what wire to tap in the footwell though. At least that's my theory anyway.

Please post up when you figure out how you are going to run the setup.

If I figure something out I’ll be sure to post it up. I hadn’t planned on having them also be switch powered but it would make sense since they’ll be there anyways.

trailraider

I have the wire diagrams , but I don't know how to download PDF's to read.

ha , never mind. I see they attached.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• DASH WIRES.pdf
    435.3 KB · Views: 54
It would be much simpler if you wanted them all to come on with unlock not just a couple. But very possible. I have mine hooked to my remote start system so they flash when locked and stay on when running til I put my key in.

One question if I explored this route- Is it all negated when I’ve got the doors off? Not quite sure how that works... or if I tap into the wire past the disconnect it’d still work as intended?

It would be much simpler if you wanted them all to come on with unlock not just a couple. But very possible. I have mine hooked to my remote start system so they flash when locked and stay on when running til I put my key in.

Like I said my intention had just been to have a pair separate from the rest so I’d do all the others as they’re meant to be and these two would only serve for entry/exit. You tapped into the remote start fuse? They stay on until key is in ignition, flash when locked, and nothing when vehicle is simply unlocked without it started or door open?

For reference if it helps this is what their Bluetooth controller looks like for the wiring. My thought would be connect the entry lights as I’m calling them to the dedicated single light and wire the switch to a power line? Then just wire the other rgb rock lights normally as they instruct.

IMG_2999.jpg

So I got an email response from Lux that yes their system is frequently used with a courtesy light feature but is up to a certified installer to figure out. Doing some more digging I found courtesy lights by quadratec that do exactly what I’m looking for.

After I order up a pair of the lux I’m going to follow the quadratec wiring instructions (minus the control box) and see how this works. I don’t think I’ll have control to force them on/off without the control box but they should work with lock/unlock and door being open/closed if I tap into the yellow wire with white trace with the switch wire on the lux. Then just go to the battery with the positive/negative.

Below is from the courtesy light instructions by quadratec:
“Functions-
The Yellow/White wire in the factory harness is the interior lamp line and pro- vides the trigger for the Entry/Exit lamps to turn on. Whenever the interior lamp comes on they will turn on as well. This means they will be activated when the locks are activated and when the in- terior lamps are turned on via the dash switch.”

If you want them as dedicated courtesy lights and not triggered with other rock lights that makes it simple. Tap the +12v wire for courtesy lights, trigger a cheap relay to those led lights on a fused circuit.

I've done this on my '15 JKU. When I unlock the vehicle, the rock lights illuminate. I also have a dash switch to turn them on manually.

I tied in to the dome light circuit as it comes on when the vehicle unlocks. The wire was located in the passenger side rear door footwell. It is yellow with a white stripe. I also tied in a 1 amp diode to stop the reverse current flow if I turned the switch on manually.

I didn't invent the idea, found somewhere on the internet...

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Rear door footwell? Like in the B-pillar? Did you access it through the removable panel for the rear door harness and retention strap?

Rear door footwell? Like in the B-pillar? Did you access it through the removable panel for the rear door harness and retention strap?

It’s on the floor next to the door sill in the passenger side rear door area. In between the B and C pillar. Lift carpet and expose the wire loom. Hope that makes more sense.

I actually found a wiring diagram someone did up for this install. Uses an SPOD and I know the feelings about that here. Capacitor is to prevent issues with the LEDs caused by dimming. This set up will allow the rock lights to come on if you turn on the interiors through the stalk at steering wheel. If you add a second relay this prevents that. IMG_3015.JPG

Top Bottom