Help Me Stay Dry!

Hack12

I'm planning on installing my Trektop NX in the next few weeks, weather permitting, and I need a creative solution to a pretty common problem.

I want to run my NX bikini style all summer, using the windows only in the colder temps and winter months. Being that it rains at a moments notice here in New England, I am looking for an idea on how to protect the rear cargo area, and back seats, during downpours.

I have read a ton of threads on this and I would like to get a few of your potential questions answered before you have to ask them.

No, I don't want to rip the carpet and pull the plugs because when it pours sideways here, my daughter is still going to get soaked! As much fun as that sounds to me and her, I can guarantee my wife will put the kibosh on that idea right quick.

No, I have no interest in wind jammers or duster covers because I have Safari Straps. I also have no interest in the Bestop cover since it covers the windshield and wont work if I need to drive in the rain.

My only realistic solution seems to be the Pavement Ends Emergency Top. Most of the complaints I've read about it seem to stem from the top of the vehicle, and since I'll still have the NX over the top, that doesn't concern me. It just seems like it would be a great fit for something to use overnights and during sudden downpours.

If anyone has any thoughts or experience with the Pavement Ends Emergency Top or any different solutions that I haven't considered, please let me know. I am desperately trying to avoid having to remove my two roll bar extinguisher mounts and struggle with the NX rear windows every time it rains.

Thanks!

Pavement Ends Emergency Top
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363054392.704717.jpg

Last edited:

Hack12

I hear that, but I have the roll bar extinguishers mounted and have heard how much of a nightmare those windows can be. I don't mind fighting with them once or twice a season, but not every downpour.

Hack12

Because by the time I rip the two extinguisher mounts off and fight those insanely tight windows back in, I will already have a pool in my cargo area and back seat.

JAGS

Hooked
I hear that, but I have the roll bar extinguishers mounted and have heard how much of a nightmare those windows can be. I don't mind fighting with them once or twice a season, but not every downpour.

I'd run with the windows in for a while during some warm weather to stretch them out a bit. Then it should not be too bad to put on and off in the future. I've also seen several running with extinguishers that have this top, so I think clearance should be ok?

Hack12

Yeah, I guess I could just flip the extinguishers to the bottom. Though I do love the look of them on top. The windows will definitely need to be stretched quite a bit. After I helped my buddy install his NX, I nearly returned mine.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The top stretches after after its in. That's the way it's designed.

For the extinguisher you can either move them to a different spot or angle them in toward each other and it won't hit the top.

Hack12

Yeah, definitely all great ideas. I was just hoping someone might be able to come up with a gem where I could keep my Safari Straps in, extinguishers top mounted, and with a faster assembly than the NX rears.

Hack12

Yeah, figured as much. Supposedly, this Pavement Ends Emergency Top will work while driving. I may even be able to fab it to only cover the rear end so it won't be so much overkill.

Hack12

That top would take longer to put on, than it would take just to zip up the windows. Plus I don't know about where your at, but that might be a traffic violation.

Yeah, that's a good point. I may just get a tarp and some magnets for when it's parked overnight incase of a sudden downpour and let it ride while driving.

Top Bottom