Leaking transmission pan

mallavoider

Hey guys little help here. My JKU 2015 with 54750 mi on the odometer has suddenly sprung a leak to what I think it is the transmission pan. I have attached a few photos. I would like to know what the group think about this and what can I do to fix it. Or show I bring it in the stealership?
Background of the Jeep: I do wheel it. It started as a Sahara. I have under body armor, and has you can see from the pics I did not hit anything around that area. Since new I never had the transmission fluid changed or service to my knowledge.
I am very surprise that the leak must have started no more than a week ago. And most intriguing is that it is leaking from the screws mainly, or so it appears to me.
Any help is greatly appreciated. IMG_8041.jpg IMG_8042.jpg IMG_8043.jpg IMG_8044.jpg IMG_8045.jpg IMG_8046.jpg IMG_8047.jpg IMG_8049.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmilobrown

At 54k+ it's close enough for filter and fluid change time! Amazon has a filter/ gasket combo, your Jeep will be happy.

norcal-s

My bet is it's actually the oil cooler, running down the back of the engine. Had the same thing on my JK, that doesn't look like transmission fluid.

mallavoider

My bet is it's actually the oil cooler, running down the back of the engine. Had the same thing on my JK, that doesn't look like transmission fluid.[/

Since you mentioned that I looked at the color of the fluid, and indeed is oil and not transmission fluid. It’s normally on the red color. What can I check if it is the oil cooler? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rmilobrown

With a good light, look down at the base of your oil filter housing. Fluid will pool and run down the back of your engine.

norcal-s

My bet is it's actually the oil cooler, running down the back of the engine. Had the same thing on my JK, that doesn't look like transmission fluid.[/

Since you mentioned that I looked at the color of the fluid, and indeed is oil and not transmission fluid. It’s normally on the red color. What can I check if it is the oil cooler? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It can be very hard to see, especially when the leak is small, which yours looks to be.(Mine was as well) I used a long zip tie to slip down past the intake, in the rear of the motor and saw oil on it.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
If you want the high-tech solution. I picked this up after my oil cooler repair, but it would work great for checking that, or any number of other things. Seriously, works great, probably one of my better $35.00 purchases.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That thing is cool. I might have to pick myself up one of those for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
If you want the high-tech solution. I picked this up after my oil cooler repair, but it would work great for checking that, or any number of other things. Seriously, works great, probably one of my better $35.00 purchases.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That thing is cool. I might have to pick myself up one of those for that price.

I have one very similar to that as well from Amazon. Pretty good quality images too for the price.

mhullinger

ahh, that is a Oil cooling unit issue. Just got mine back today. pending where you go between 550 and 1000 bucks.. Literally just got mine back. I cleaned everything trying to figure out where the leak was. finally just burst. The assembly is all plastic, so when changing the oil you can over trk the cap and crack the stem. it is a very common problem and on other forums HUUUUGE threads full of the same issue, but Jeep says not their problem.

look1.jpg look2.jpg look3.jpg

mallavoider

ahh, that is a Oil cooling unit issue. Just got mine back today. pending where you go between 550 and 1000 bucks.. Literally just got mine back. I cleaned everything trying to figure out where the leak was. finally just burst. The assembly is all plastic, so when changing the oil you can over trk the cap and crack the stem. it is a very common problem and on other forums HUUUUGE threads full of the same issue, but Jeep says not their problem.

View attachment 320488 View attachment 320489 View attachment 320490

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norcal-s

I replaced it myself, not sure if you're under warranty. It's fairly easy, but a labor intensive job. There are some good youtube video's covering it, search under "pentastar oil cooler" rather than Jeep, it's a problem on all the cars with this engine.

I should say I did it twice, started leaking after about a week post replacement. I did everything by the book, but, the first was not a mopar part, ordered on Amazon and didn't pay attention to the details. I'll blame it on that :). I couldn't find the source of the leak on the original or the first replacement, it's a complicated molding.

Good luck either way.

Top Bottom