Air Compressor Pressure Regulator

flaxbourton

Hey all, I currently have a viair compressor with a large air tank installed in my JK. It cranks out about 120-140 psi that fuels an air horn, front and rear lockers, and a quick connect air line for the tires. 4wp is recommending that I cap off the lines to the lockers and install a second dedicated locker compressor (arb or g2) at a lower pressure just for the lockers. The reasoning on their end is that it isolates a fairly important part when offroading and that the higher psi will cause the locker seals to be more prone to failure. They also correctly point out that I have several Ts and fittings that are all potential leak points in the current setup.
I called and spoke with an ARB rep and he said the recommended pressure is indeed 90 psi, but they are rated for 70-170 psi. I don't know if it's just their official canned response but he felt the 120-140 psi would be perfectly fine.
I am looking for opinions on how to move forward. My options as I see it are:
1. Leave things as they are
2. Follow 4wp's recommendation.
3. Install an in line pressure regulator (or 2 most likely for front and rear) to dial back just the locker portion to 90.

Thanks for sharing any experience y'all may have!

jesse3638

Hooked
Look at where you're getting your recommendation to change your current set up. I bet they pointed you in the direction of the compressor they sell to "remedy" your problem too.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

flaxbourton

Yeah, for sure, with the more expensive ARB compressor. I was in to set an appt to get the front locker fixed as something, hopefully o rings, did blow recently. So definitely susceptible to the power of suggestion as I do currently have an issue with it.

jdofmemi

I don't know why you would want two compressors, but would probably put the pressure regulator on the locker feed.
Use one regulator, feed both locker solenoids with the lower pressure air.
With the tank and the lower pressure feed for the lockers, the compressor will hardly have to run to cycle them on and off.

Just my opinion, use it if you like

Top Bottom