Teraflex bumper, tire carrier options?

Notsodirtyhippie

I scored a teraflex bumper for a pretty great deal this past summer. I was still running whatever km2s come on rubicons, the dealer I bought used rubi take offs on sports. Well Monday I upgraded to toyo 35s and now I need a tire carrier.

Is it possible to drill through my bumper to put a bumper mount? I saw the construction of smittybuilt on eBay and it got me thinking. The pivot point is a separate frame mount. I’m sure there are others made similarly. It just got me thinking.

I do love my bumper but didn’t put much thought into tire carrier until now. I can hang without a tire carrier for a bit since the tire is sitting on the bumper. Kinda sucks getting into the cargo area though.

Any input?

TheGrendel

I scored a teraflex bumper for a pretty great deal this past summer. I was still running whatever km2s come on rubicons, the dealer I bought used rubi take offs on sports. Well Monday I upgraded to toyo 35s and now I need a tire carrier.

Is it possible to drill through my bumper to put a bumper mount? I saw the construction of smittybuilt on eBay and it got me thinking. The pivot point is a separate frame mount. I’m sure there are others made similarly. It just got me thinking.

I do love my bumper but didn’t put much thought into tire carrier until now. I can hang without a tire carrier for a bit since the tire is sitting on the bumper. Kinda sucks getting into the cargo area though.

Any input?

grab the Evo body mount carrier. its super easy to install. will hold up to a 37 inch tire though Evo themselves have been known to run a 40 inch on there.

Notsodirtyhippie

How hard is it to drill a hole? It’s a pretty sturdy bumper.

Are you referring to evo cage style? I’m looking at several options getting overwhelmed. Originally I considered the teraflex. But thanks to the failure threads on here, that one is out. If I’m going to spend $500+ I don’t want it to be a hunk of junk in a short period of time. I have no use for expensive paper weights.

Jsouder53

Hooked
How hard is it to drill a hole? It’s a pretty sturdy bumper.

Are you referring to evo cage style? I’m looking at several options getting overwhelmed. Originally I considered the teraflex. But thanks to the failure threads on here, that one is out. If I’m going to spend $500+ I don’t want it to be a hunk of junk in a short period of time. I have no use for expensive paper weights.

You can’t go wrong with evo

http://www.evomfg.com/EVO-MFG-Products/Wrangler-JK-JKU-2007-current/EVO-MFG-Bumpers?product_id=255

-also, as much as I love my bumper mounted tire carrier... it’s really heavy and rattles a little bit, which I don’t think the evo tire carrier that I posted would rattle at all

Last edited:

Notsodirtyhippie

This is the exact one I was looking at. I’m not a fan of the cage style. I was checking one out at discount tire on Monday. They only had 2 vehicles in the bay and both were jeeps. I prefer simple because I have 3 kids and 2 dogs. The guys at discount had a time with the cage style. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel. Just don’t want to lose mine 😂

Jsouder53

Hooked
This is the exact one I was looking at. I’m not a fan of the cage style. I was checking one out at discount tire on Monday. They only had 2 vehicles in the bay and both were jeeps. I prefer simple because I have 3 kids and 2 dogs. The guys at discount had a time with the cage style. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel. Just don’t want to lose mine [emoji23]

The cage style is great if you’re running a 40 and don’t need access in the back too often (having to pull the pins and swing it open then open the tailgate)

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

Attachments

• IMG_20181215_150806.jpg
    IMG_20181215_150806.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 92

wjtstudios

Hooked
The AEV works smoothly as well. You just open the tailgate normally. The advantage of the AEV is it pulls most of the weight down to the frame instead of the body. My 37s on bead locks weight about 110 per tire. On top of that I have a 10 gallon fuel caddy on there which I keep around 5 gallons of fuel in at all times. That carrier is rock solid even with all that weight on it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
The EVO hinged carrier is awesome. I started with a teraflex carrier- it was crap and sold it. Then the EVO which was great. Then I went EVO cage carrier, well just because it looks so bad ass. It turned out to be a pain in the ass on a daily driver and hit my camper when towing. Now I'm back to the EVO hinged carrier.

You can't just drill a hole in the bumper unless the bumper mounted carrier comes with bearings or bushings to swing on.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I’m happy with my AEV carrier and sounds like others on here are too. You’d need to cut about a 2-3” hole in the bumper on the passenger side. But it works great even with a heavy tire and wheel combo. I did break one of UHMW saddles that more or less locate the carrier to the tailgate. But that was due to the entire weight of the Jeep resting on the spare. I bought a few spares to keep around now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Another plug for the EVO hing carrier.
I'm running a 37x1350 Cooper on the back and having a 2door I'm in and out of it all the time. Looks good easy to instal, opens easy and Mel ran a 40 on it for a while beat it to shit and it held up great

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom