Melted power plug on ARB compressor

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Noticed this the other day when I had to disconnect the power plugs to my ARB single air compressor.

Female connection looks fine but the male part is definitely melted.

A quick internet search using “ARB melted power connections” showed I’m not the only one to have this happen. I’m wondering what the best solution is and if anyone on WAL has tackled this issue before.

IMG_4337.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I've seen this close to a hundred times on GM blower motor connections. To the best of my knowledge, there really isn't a fix. The motor/pump draws enough amperage to heat up the circuit to melt the plastic connector. As long as the plastic still insulates the circuit, it serves its purpose. I haven't heard of this on an arb compressor though. On the GM issue, you just replace the damaged parts, but they're not updated or anything so it could happen again.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I've seen this close to a hundred times on GM blower motor connections. To the best of my knowledge, there really isn't a fix. The motor/pump draws enough amperage to heat up the circuit to melt the plastic connector. As long as the plastic still insulates the circuit, it serves its purpose. I haven't heard of this on an arb compressor though. On the GM issue, you just replace the damaged parts, but they're not updated or anything so it could happen again.

Huh, that’s interesting. I guess I’ll just get some heavier duty connectors and swap the ARB ones out. The compressor is still working but it makes me nervous to see something electrical in that condition and in the engine bay. I use the shit out of that compressor but when I air up tires, the hood is always up and the Jeep is running. Of course, wheeling in the southwest during the summer, it’s not uncommon to have temps pushing upper 90s. I can’t imagine what the engine bay sees temperature wise during those times.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Huh, that’s interesting. I guess I’ll just get some heavier duty connectors and swap the ARB ones out. The compressor is still working but it makes me nervous to see something electrical in that condition and in the engine bay. I use the shit out of that compressor but when I air up tires, the hood is always up and the Jeep is running. Of course, wheeling in the southwest during the summer, it’s not uncommon to have temps pushing upper 90s. I can’t imagine what the engine bay sees temperature wise during those times.

It might be time to upgrade to a twin! They at least have a fan to cool the internal wiring and pumps. I couldn’t imagine the temps either.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
The plug is an area of resistance. As the compressor runs it heats up there because of the amperage being drawn through it. There are 2 good fixes in my opinion.
1 replace that plug for one that is rated for higher amperage.
2 hardwire and forget the plug.
I personally would hardwire and hear shrink to keep moisture out of the connection area.
Also, if you blow a fuse on that or any circuit don't just throw a bigger fuse at it. The problem isn't that the fuse is too small, the problem is that the circuit is operating outside of its design limits.

Last edited:

GeoWillys

Since only the one half of the connector seems to be melted I would venture to say that particular end has a poorly crimped connection. The same amount of current traveled thru both pieces but only the one with resistive connection got hot enough to melt it.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
The plug is an area of resistance. As the compressor runs it heats up there because of the amperage being drawn through it. There are 2 good fixes in my opinion.
1 replace that plug for one that is rated for higher amperage.
2 hardwire and forget the plug.
I personally would hardwire and hear shrink to keep moisture out of the connection area.
Also, if you blow a fuse on that or any circuit don't just throw a bigger fuse at it. The problem isn't that the fuse is too small, the problem is that the circuit is operating outside of its design limits.

Thanks for the informative post. I ordered some Anderson connectors that are rated at 45a. I’m also considering the hardwire route. In case anyone is wondering, all the connectors are factory ARB and I haven’t altered the harness in any way. It’s also connected to the battery per ARB’s instructions. It’s been a reliable source of air for my front locker and airing up tires. I really don’t think it was designed to air up 37 in. tires or at the very least, that is pushing it to its limits.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Since only the one half of the connector seems to be melted I would venture to say that particular end has a poorly crimped connection. The same amount of current traveled thru both pieces but only the one with resistive connection got hot enough to melt it.

Yea, I thought that was strange it only affected half. As far as the crimp goes, IDK, it came from the factory with those connectors, if I recall correctly.

Top Bottom