Rocker cam making tick tick noise any oil additives you recomend?

NightFox915

Hey guys howdy from Texas [emoji112] I have this annoying tick tick noise coming from my 2013 jku 3.6L penstar engine I’m pretty sure it’s a bad rocker, I just thought If there’s any oil additives to help reduce the tick noise you guys might of have luck with?

Thanks for your feedback

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hey guys howdy from Texas [emoji112] I have this annoying tick tick noise coming from my 2013 jku 3.6L penstar engine I’m pretty sure it’s a bad rocker, I just thought If there’s any oil additives to help reduce the tick noise you guys might of have luck with?

Thanks for your feedback

I’m about to try one that was recommended to me. I’ll post up the results this week and let you know. My 2014 has 157,000 and ticks like an angry clock.

dougpga6

This happened twice to my jeep. Make sure they check all the rockers the first time. They questioned my service records and tried to shift the blame. They will also try to up sale everything. The dealer I took it to tried to sale me an automatic transmission filter until I reminded her I had a manual transmission.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^^This. Go get it fixed ASAP before you ruin the cam. No oil additive is going to fix this.

I’ll echo this reply. While I am running some additives every few oil changes, its not so much to fix the lifter issue as it is to keep things running clean and smooth. Mine started making noise around 110,000 and I made the mistake of letting it go. Now I need cams lifters rockers etc. I’m now at the point where putting a new motor in at 157,000 makes more sense.

Exodus 4x4

This happened twice to my jeep. Make sure they check all the rockers the first time. They questioned my service records and tried to shift the blame. They will also try to up sale everything. The dealer I took it to tried to sale me an automatic transmission filter until I reminded her I had a manual transmission.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

That brings up a good point. The rockets are cheap compared to the labor. It’s not a bad idea to replace ALL of them while it’s open.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ll echo this reply. While I am running some additives every few oil changes, its not so much to fix the lifter issue as it is to keep things running clean and smooth. Mine started making noise around 110,000 and I made the mistake of letting it go. Now I need cams lifters rockers etc. I’m now at the point where putting a new motor in at 157,000 makes more sense.

Damn, time for an LS

bmkrinne

Any insight into why these rockers are wearing out? Seems like a common problem from these posts. I’m aware of the head issues and extended warranty, but don’t know a lot about the rocker issue. Thanks!

Any insight into why these rockers are wearing out? Seems like a common problem from these posts. I’m aware of the head issues and extended warranty, but don’t know a lot about the rocker issue. Thanks!

So far from what I’ve been hearing it’s the actual roller bearing in the rocker that is going tits up, or at least in a few cases. Maybe someone else can post up that has a little more insight. I’ve only got a sample size of about 7-8 vehicles with the penitstar, and only 4 of them being in the JK.

Exodus 4x4

So far from what I’ve been hearing it’s the actual roller bearing in the rocker that is going tits up, or at least in a few cases. Maybe someone else can post up that has a little more insight. I’ve only got a sample size of about 7-8 vehicles with the penitstar, and only 4 of them being in the JK.

This is correct

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What I have done with my 3.8 to help fix a “lack of oil” tick at start up is run 1qt of ATF in the motor for about 30 mins. Since ATF is a detergent it will help clean the slug out of the oil galleys for cleaner passage. I would suggest doing this first to see if it’s just a lack of oil issue due to sludge.

Obviously change the oil after you let it run with the atf in it

BaddestCross

What I have done with my 3.8 to help fix a “lack of oil” tick at start up is run 1qt of ATF in the motor for about 30 mins. Since ATF is a detergent it will help clean the slug out of the oil galleys for cleaner passage. I would suggest doing this first to see if it’s just a lack of oil issue due to sludge.

Obviously change the oil after you let it run with the atf in it
Did that actually make a difference?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom