Maintenance order of operations

Boudica

Hi all. Fair warning, this is going to be a very noob question (after a lengthy explanation).

I've got a '14 JK Sport (6 speed manual transmission) that is now out of warranty and paid for. So in addition to now spending that money "saved" every month on new upgrades :)D), I want to take over the maintenance as well. But, because I am pretty new at working on cars- I've really only ever done an occasional oil change on my Cherokee years ago- my default process is to take things slowly. The problem: my shifting has been feeling a little rough for the past month and according to the owner's manual it's time for differential fluid and overdue for both t-case fluid change and transmission fluid change.

In case I run into problems and to not have to triage three different possible causes, would it be better to change these one at a time, drive for a few days, and then tackle the next? If so, what would be the best order of operations?

Or, alternatively, am I just really overthinking this and just need to be told to get on with the jobs- it's not that big of a deal?

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or kick in the pants!

jesse3638

Hooked
Personally I'd just change them all at once. I wouldn't want to pull tools and catch pans on 3 different occasions. I change my diffs every 16k. T-case and trans are 32k. I did not realize the trans was 32k so I haven't changed mine yet and I'm about 5k over and need to do it.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Plan a day and do them all at once. Just be sure to keep track of the fluids, as they are not the same and it would be bad to put the wrong fluid in, for example, your transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you want to do them all separate it won’t hurt anything. But it’s not necessary in the least. It’s just replacing dirty fluid. If you do the diffs remember to give the rtv the correct time to set before installing the covers and enough time to cure.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Although, it’s not difficult, 1 at a time is fine. I’d do the diffs 1st (could even do those 1 at a time). Then remove your transfer case skid and knock out the transfer case. Then drive around for a few days without replacing the skid plate. Then when your ready do the transmission. I’m assuming you have a manual (transmission is easy). Then put the skid back on. And you just saved $600.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
If you want to do them all separate it won’t hurt anything. But it’s not necessary in the least. It’s just replacing dirty fluid. If you do the diffs remember to give the rtv the correct time to set before installing the covers and enough time to cure.

That’s funny, I’ve always felt rushed to get the diff cover back on before it sets. Guess next time I’ll let it set before putting on the cover. I do, however, wait about 20 minutes before I put the fluids back in.

Boudica

Personally I'd just change them all at once. I wouldn't want to pull tools and catch pans on 3 different occasions. I change my diffs every 16k. T-case and trans are 32k. I did not realize the trans was 32k so I haven't changed mine yet and I'm about 5k over and need to do it.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Plan a day and do them all at once. Just be sure to keep track of the fluids, as they are not the same and it would be bad to put the wrong fluid in, for example, your transmission.

Although, it’s not difficult, 1 at a time is fine. I’d do the diffs 1st (could even do those 1 at a time). Then remove your transfer case skid and knock out the transfer case. Then drive around for a few days without replacing the skid plate. Then when your ready do the transmission. I’m assuming you have a manual (transmission is easy). Then put the skid back on. And you just saved $600.

Thanks, guys. If it's not that big of a deal, then I'll try to get it done all in one day. Clutch- thanks for the order, just in case I can't finish everything up in one day ('cause I'm a slow poke, and something always seems to happen to throw me off track anyway), I'll follow this plan.

sm31

Thanks, guys. If it's not that big of a deal, then I'll try to get it done all in one day. Clutch- thanks for the order, just in case I can't finish everything up in one day ('cause I'm a slow poke, and something always seems to happen to throw me off track anyway), I'll follow this plan.

Off Topic:

Your avatar reminds me how long it's been since I had good gumbo. There certainly isn't any around here... :beer:

Boudica

Off Topic:

Your avatar reminds me how long it's been since I had good gumbo. There certainly isn't any around here... :beer:

It's certainly a difficult thing to replicate anywhere else in the world. Gumbo and boiled crawfish- two foods you know are done right if you're sweating as you're eating them.

I bet the views you have up there, though, and the trails to wheel on, are so much better.

That’s funny, I’ve always felt rushed to get the diff cover back on before it sets. Guess next time I’ll let it set before putting on the cover. I do, however, wait about 20 minutes before I put the fluids back in.

Follow the directions on the tube, most rtv you want to put the bead on and leave it alone for a few minutes before bolting it up.

Top Bottom