2018 JKU steering

WVUWrangler2018

I’m currently fighting some vague steering on my stock 2018 JKU. Currently:
- new steering box at 6k miles by dealership
- replaced trackbar at 11k miles and did grade 8 bolt kit.
Everything steering component wise appears to be tight. However I did notice when replacing my trackbar that the front frame hole appears to be wallowed out. My Jeep feels very unstable when going over uneven road... almost like the front and back are swaying in opposite directions. Could his be the result of an ovaled out track bar bracket? Or is there something else I should attempt to trace down?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WVUWrangler2018

No lift yet...completely 100% stock other than replacing the track bar in an attempt to fix the loose feeling. I’m holding off on lifting it until I can find a fix for the unstable feeling when driving

BaddestCross

No lift yet...completely 100% stock other than replacing the track bar in an attempt to fix the loose feeling. I’m holding off on lifting it until I can find a fix for the unstable feeling when driving

Well, the hole should definitely not be wallowed out. May need to have a washer welded on to fix it. That being said, while wasting money installing grade 8 bolts on everything, did you verify torque while the Jeep was sitting on it's own weight?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TheGrendel

that doesn't look right. the wallowed out track bar holes happen to people with a number of miles on their vehicle. guessing it was a friday afternoon shift at the plant. boys were out having a few cold ones at lunch and had to rush a few out the door for appearances.

WJCO

Meme King
I don't think that bracket hole looks all that bad. It's not perfectly round but usually when a bracket hole elongates enough to cause an issue, it looks way worse than that. Almost oval shaped from the ones I've seen.

F

Fionayeti

I have a synergy track bar brace as well which I recommend for tall lifts and big tires since the thickness of the metal of the stock bracket is pretty thin (at least on my JK).

The brace is easy to install - have a buddy hold the steering box after removing all the bolts, then get one bolt screwed in. Follow Synergy directions from there. Your track bar probably came loose (not profound) and wallowed your hole a bit although it didn't look too bad. Gotta keep the Track bar torqued to 125 ft lbs.

Top Bottom