Auto Vs 5 speed / 6speed

Chris_IAH

Hello all!!

I'm new to forum. I am looking for my first JK/YJ/TJ/ and I am just wondering if there is any preference here on which trans is best? I'm not sure on which to choose. I'm not looking to build a monster rock crawler....but a nice weekend warrior that doubles as my DD. Thanks !

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Auto Vs Manual

Having driven manual transmission vehicles most of my life, I have always been partial to them. I enjoy the interaction with the vehicle, having to shift, balancing clutch and accelerator to hold on steep hills, etc. My last Jeep (CJ7) was a 4 speed, and I loved it. With that said, I now have a 2013 JK with an auto transmission, and I love it. It is my DD, and I wheel it every chance I get. With the automatic, it is much more convenient in stop and go traffic, in day to day driving and its still great to wheel. It is a 5 speed auto with the option for 'manual' upshifts and downshifts. Not sure what you plan to get, as the transmissions from YJ to TJ to JK vary greatly, and also depend on what generation of each model you are looking at. Coming from a die hard manual guy, for a great all around DD Jeep that you are going to use off road as well, the Auto gets my nod of approval. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your search!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Up until recently, I have always manuals and it's what I know best. Having said that, autos are so much easier to wheel and it might be what I would recommend especially if you're somewhat new to wheeling. It'll just ensure you will have a good time. But, if you're dead set on getting a manual, the JK's all come with the same NSG-370 6-speed transmission and it's noisy but, works well. Early models had a tendancy to pop out of 1st but there is a TSB for that. If you get a TJ, I would recommend that you find a 2000-06 as they will come with an NV3500 which is a good strong tranny and much better than the old AX15. On a YJ, you don't have too many choices other than the AX15.

Indefatigable

If you get a TJ, I would recommend that you find a 2000-06 as they will come with an NV3500 which is a good strong tranny and much better than the old AX15. On a YJ, you don't have too many choices other than the AX15.

Just a note. 05 and 06 TJ/LJ came with the NSG370 6 Speed. Just like the JK.

The AX15 was a decent trans (way better than the Peugot!). Much quieter than the NV3500, especially at idle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just a note. 05 and 06 TJ/LJ came with the NSG370 6 Speed. Just like the JK.

Right, I forgot about the switch they made. Thanks for pointing that out.

The AX15 was a decent trans (way better than the Peugot!). Much quieter than the NV3500, especially at idle.

What, you don't like hearing marbles in a tin can? :crazyeyes:

I never thought the noise was too bad and the NV3500 was a stronger tranny. But, that's just me.

Top Bottom