4 3/4 inch backspacing with 35" tires & 2.5 " Lift?

sm31

I apologize for raising this topic again but I couldn't manage to find a specific answer for my setup. In my previous TJ build, I was careless with backspacing and just made sure I had more (less really?) than enough. But in keeping with Eddie's comments about keeping backspacing to a minimum, I really want to do it right this time.

I'm new to the JK world, and my project is a 2011 JKUR. I am planning on 2.5" of lift on 35" tires (overlanding focus). I am also planning to trim the stock fenders & pinch seams. With that in mind, can I make good use of 4.75" of backspace? Do I need less to keep from hitting things I can't (easily) eliminate? Is there an "ideal" backspace for this setup?

Thanks for the advice!!

Edit: This may need to go in the Wheels/Tires section but I listed here due to the specific nature of the vehicle.

Last edited:
F

Fionayeti

There's never any ideal set-up. But with 35's you won't need to trim the pinch seam.

As for rubbing when steering - that depends on the width of your tires and backspacing. I run 37's at 12.5 inches wide with 4.5 backspacing and never rub, anywhere. (Had to trim the pinch seam though)

So with 4.5 backspacing on a 12.5 wide tire you will probably be fine. Any wider of a tire, say 13 - 13.5" and you might rub the control arms at full lock or sooner. So you might want less backspacing for 13.5 " wide tires if you go that size.

As for rubbing your fenders, etc, If your lift has soft springs/shocks you may rub when articulating, stiffer springs/shocks, perhaps not. Just depends on the set-up.

sm31

Thank you everyone for the advice and replies!!

Sahara, your jeep looks amazing with the lower center of gravity, and 37's!

I'll go ahead and proceed as planned then. :beer:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
4 3/4 inch backspacing with 35" tires & 2.5 " Lift?

I think you’ll be fine with 4.75” back spacing, especially with 2.5” of lift. What Fionayeti said sounds solid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wethy

Thank you everyone for the advice and replies!!

Sahara, your jeep looks amazing with the lower center of gravity, and 37's!

I'll go ahead and proceed as planned then. [emoji481]
I use factory rims and 1.5" spacers which gives me an approximate 4.75" of back spacing(6.25 -1.5) and with my 35x12.50s i have no rubbing whatsoever on a 2.5" lift. I have heard people having rubbing while stuffing the tire with OEM fenders but fortunately i havent run into that issue. I dont currently have a straight on picture but heres a cpuple to give you an idea

DSC_4047.jpeg
20170924_175838.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
You'll be fine. I had 35's on AEV wheels (5.2" BS) and they rubbed the control arms a bit at full lock. 4.5 I think is better if you plan to go to 37's someday, but 4.75 will be just fine.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
4.75" backspacing, 315 x 70/17, 2.25" lift, 2" bumpstops and no rubbing

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_124924.jpg
    IMG_20180422_124924.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 84

sm31

Awesome! Thank you everyone for posting example photos!! One more question... Is the outside of your tire beyond the edge of the stock fender? If so, by how uch. There certainly are no laws about such a thing around here, and I personally like to have just a bit of extension beyond the fenders (which will be trimmed anyway). It's not practical, and it made for dirty windows on the TJ but it's just a personal preference.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom