Grounding CB Antenna

Hey guys I’m planning on installing my CB this weekend. Everything seems fairly straightforward looking at the write up but my one question is when it comes to grounding the antenna. I need to expose metal on the mount (presumably somewhere the bolt makes contact), the bolt, and then a bolt on the inside of the tailgate near the hinge and go to the frame with the strap? Do I need to expose bare metal anywhere else or to come into contact with any of the actual antenna components? Image attached to show exactly what I’m working with parts wise. I’ve also got the EVO mount and if it matters their tailgate carrier (unsure if I need to expose bare metal on the carrier). Seems from reading a few posts about fine tuning that the grounding is important so just trying to ensure I’m approaching this correctly.

Thanks!

IMG_3294.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I purchased a 1” braided stainless steel grouping strap that was 30” long from summit racing.

Image1551370391.030012.jpg

It goes down to the frame. I ground the paint off the frame an secured it to one of the bumper mount bolts. I can maintain a SWR of 1.00 on most channels.

I purchased a 1” braided stainless steel grouping strap that was 30” long from summit racing.

View attachment 322000

It goes down to the frame. I ground the paint off the frame an secured it to one of the bumper mount bolts. I can maintain a SWR of 1.00 on most channels.

So you went right from the mount to frame? I guess my question would just be what order should things go in? I assume the ground should be in contact with the fire ring?

zimm

Caught the Bug
You don't "need" a grounding strap (although they're nice). I used 12 gauge wire. I made sure the antenna had bare metal to touch on the carrier. Then on one of the bottom mounting holes for the tire carrier, I went to bare metal and put a crimp on ring connector under the bolt. The ground wire follows the antenna wire inside the tailgate, along the wire harness, and to the bolt for the tailgate arm/thingy. (See yellow and pink connectors in photo). I couldn't find any kind of ground from the tailgate itself. No need to ground body to frame, it's already done from the factory.

You don't "need" a grounding strap (although they're nice). I used 12 gauge wire. I made sure the antenna had bare metal to touch on the carrier. Then on one of the bottom mounting holes for the tire carrier, I went to bare metal and put a crimp on ring connector under the bolt. The ground wire follows the antenna wire inside the tailgate, along the wire harness, and to the bolt for the tailgate arm/thingy. (See yellow and pink connectors in photo). I couldn't find any kind of ground from the tailgate itself. No need to ground body to frame, it's already done from the factory.

Thanks, very helpful pictures. Probably try the strap first and if it’s not long enough just use wire.

Top Bottom