Rear axle shifting side to side to much when flexed up. Pls help

jimnlisa

I have the rock krawler 3.5 x factor plus mid arm system. The problem i am running into is when the jeep is flexed. The rear drive shaft hits the gas tank skid plate on one side and then the evap skid on the other side. How can i keep my axle closer to the center and not lose my droop? Thank u in advance for all the help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Install upper control arms instead of the single one down the middle or install long arms. Having 3 links will provide less bind but, it'll also allow for too much axle swipe.

jimnlisa

Thank u for the input. Is it possible to hook a strap close to the center of the axle to control some of the side to side shift?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank u for the input. Is it possible to hook a strap close to the center of the axle to control some of the side to side shift?

You mean a limiting strap as in, to help limit your axle droop? Yeah, I suppose that might help limit the amount of swipe you have but, it would also defeat the design of the suspension. If it were me, I would try relocating the EVAP canister and then purposefully shift your axle off center to help mitigate the drive shaft grind on the gas tank.

jimnlisa

Yep i meant a limiting strap. I know if i put one at each end of the axle i will lose some of my droop witch i dont want to do. The theory i had in my head was to hook one limiting strap as close to the center of the axle as possible. I like the idea of moving the canister over and shifting the axle over. I will prob try these options this weekend. Thank u

MTG

Caught the Bug
I can't tell for sure from your profile if you are still running a stock rear DS. If so, an after market one will be much thinner than the one from the factory.

jhires

Yep i meant a limiting strap. I know if i put one at each end of the axle i will lose some of my droop witch i dont want to do. The theory i had in my head was to hook one limiting strap as close to the center of the axle as possible. I like the idea of moving the canister over and shifting the axle over. I will prob try these options this weekend. Thank u

It sounds like you are trying to replicate the function of a trackbar with straps.

jimnlisa

Ya i am still running the stock drive shaft. I called Tom Woods and they said there 1350 has a 3 inch dia. I am unsure what other companies are. When the axle shift to the side its the yoke of the drive shaft that hits the gas tank skid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya i am still running the stock drive shaft. I called Tom Woods and they said there 1350 has a 3 inch dia. I am unsure what other companies are. When the axle shift to the side its the yoke of the drive shaft that hits the gas tank skid.

You will still have the same problem with the 1350 yoke hitting the gas tank and if anything, it's a bit worse.

You should be fine with the factory shaft, just relocate the EVAP and shift your axle over. Trust me, you would need to do this even with an aftermarket shaft.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Give Coast and J.E Reel a call. Eddie like JE Reel. I cant tell you about them, but I run a Coast 1310 front and rear. And per Eddie and some others go 1350 if you can. I have not had any issues, but I did not have prior knowledge of DS's otherwise I would have gone the 1350 route.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Philip *AZ*

Banned
You will still have the same problem with the 1350 yoke hitting the gas tank and if anything, it's a bit worse.

You should be fine with the factory shaft, just relocate the EVAP and shift your axle over. Trust me, you would need to do this even with an aftermarket shaft.

Oops, missed the quote

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Give Coast and J.E Reel a call. Eddie like JE Reel. I cant tell you about them, but I run a Coast 1310 front and rear. And per Eddie and some others go 1350 if you can. I have not had any issues, but I did not have prior knowledge of DS's otherwise I would have gone the 1350 route.

LOL!! I like J.E. Reel because he's local to me but I know Bill over at Coast as well and have run his shafts in the past without any problems. You really can't go wrong with either as both use Neapco and Spicer u-joints without having to pay to upgrade to them. If you go with the other popular brand, just make sure to upgrade your u-joints as they come standard with cheap Chinese u-joints that I have seen fail time and time again.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Yep. I recommended both to my friend who is building his JK. I believe he is going with JE Reel as well.

jimnlisa

Just wanted to say thank u. I shifted everything over to the driver side some. The drive shaft no longer hits the canister or the gas tank. :)

Top Bottom