Question on axles

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Ok, I have a pro rock 44 front and pro rock 60 rear with 4.88 gears. I currently have 3.73 gears. I was wondering if I could install my front axle and not hook up the drive shaft and still drive it. It is my daily driver. Then I could measure the length for my adams drive shaft. And then next weekend install my rear axle and measure the rear drive shaft length. By then my other jeeps will be here and I can drive one of those while I wait for my drive shafts to come in. I imagine if the front drive shaft is not installed, even with different gears should not effect anything.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I drove my Jeep for a year with 5.13s in back and 4.10s in the front, with both drive shafts in. As long as you don’t put the TC in four wheel drive, you won’t have a problem. And without a driveshaft, it won’t matter anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

desertrunner

Pull either of the drive shafts and you won't have any issue.
I installed my PR44 front with 4.88s and had the 3.21s in the back pulled the front drive shaft and drove it to Missoula to get the rear gears done.
Then subsequently pulled the rear shaft and drove in front wheel drive (tcase in 4 hi with no rear drive shaft) while I measured for a new rear shaft and waited for my order.

Just as fiend said you can drive with different gears provided you don't put the tcase in 4wd but I was worried about it so I pulled the front shaft JIC

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom