Hard Top Storage

bhaner

Has anyone found a good setup to store their hard tops?

Been looking online for a bit and haven't found anything that looks like it works well for a decent price.

Almost ready to build something.

Would like it to hold the hard top vertical and have a storage spot for the freedom panels.

A cover for the works would be good as well.

I see Bestop has a rack/cart thing.. But for the cart, rack, and cover they want $800!

rubiDave

I hoist mine overhead in the garage. I have a rhino rack and attach the hoist lines to it. The freedom panels bungee to the top of the rack.
Hard top removal and installation is now a one person job, and I have enough room to park under it. I built my own using a Harbor Freight 120V hoist and some pulleys from Home Depot. It works well for me

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I hoist mine overhead in the garage. I have a rhino rack and attach the hoist lines to it. The freedom panels bungee to the top of the rack.
Hard top removal and installation is now a one person job, and I have enough room to park under it. I built my own using a Harbor Freight 120V hoist and some pulleys from Home Depot. It works well for me

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Having a 10' ceiling in my new house I plan to do the same. Need to locate the hoist write up.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
If you go up, the Harken hoist is s simple and easy system. Put you freedom top panels on top and hoist it all up.

The OP was looking for more of a ground cart system. I agree, they are expensive and I’m sure you can fab one up for a lot less

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
(cleaned up version of this post) Here's a wooden rack I made for about $30. I found the plans online. The most expensive part are the 4 wheels, the rest is 2x4's. Holds top vertical. No place for panels though, I put those somewhere else. I salvaged past away granny's old sheep skin she had from a sewing project so please don't laugh at my upholstery skills.

Last edited:

bhaner

There's a monster thread on the "other" forum that has plans to build a sweet $30 rack. I did it and it's perfect. The most expensive part are the 4 wheels, the rest is 2x4's. Holds top vertical. No place for panels though, I put those somewhere else. I salvaged past away granny's old sheep skin she had from a sewing project so please don't laugh at my upholstery skills.

That is somewhat what I was thinking of making.

Looks like it works!

zimm

Caught the Bug
The "plans" call for 3, 2x4 blocks, but that sucks. If you use 2 like my photo, the top stays vertical. They only tricky part is the little wooden bar with padding on it that holds the damn rear window glass from popping open. I think that is a 1x2, but doesn't matter. It just holds the glass closed.

USMC Wrangler

Thank you for posting that. I did it for UNDER $30. Here's a video for it.

And so that it's clear, I don't get paid a dime for for the idea.

Awesome video, Eddie! I did something very similar when I first got my Jeep. The house I lived in had exposed rafters in the garage which made it super similar. Since then I’ve moved and a family member gave me a Harken Hoist as a gift. Those are really pricey just to get the top off, but they do work well!

IMG_7157.JPG

Lojo

Awesome - glad I could be of help :)

Everything on this forum has been of great help..especially for new Jeep owners like my wife and myself!! Very useful and informative information!! The best I’ve seen thus far. Thanks for putting it all together in one easy place!! Cheers!!!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I use a Racor Vertical Storage Lift. In all, I spent about $180, but I can safely remove and install completely by myself. It’s also works great to store my push mower and other summer items during the winter.

IMG_3675.JPG

bhaner

All good ideas!

I have been a little hesitant to use ratchet straps out the back window to lift this top. I did that on my TJ top and ended up screwing up the inside plastic part of the top. It actually crushed it some.

Maybe the JK top is better built.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Very nice!!

Thanks! I like it a lot and it’s super easy to use!

All good ideas!

I have been a little hesitant to use ratchet straps out the back window to lift this top. I did that on my TJ top and ended up screwing up the inside plastic part of the top. It actually crushed it some.

Maybe the JK top is better built.

Three seasons and no issues with the straps running through the back window, but I’m not hooking them to the top. The top just lays on the nylon strap.

Here’s a link to this project in my build thread if anyone is interested. No video, but some decent pictures can be found.

Oscar's No Build Thread - Racor Lift:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=677349

Top Bottom