Tightening heim joints on new lower arms....

Rivertoys

When I installed a Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel lift (a few weeks ago), the instructions said to tighten them to 200lbs torque if possible. I was not able to do that... I had trouble tightening them much without them turning. I got them good as I could with a giant crescent wrench, and red loc-tite. It's been eating at me and in the back of my head, I'm thinking they need to be properly torqued before an offroad adventure.

> Thoughts? Is there a "trick" to it? (having the proper size wrench would help)

I am thinking about going to Offroad Evo and having them go through and torque everything, just to be safe. I see they offer that service, not sure if it would include heim joints on the links though. I'm not called them.

Thanks!!!
Jason

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're lower control arm bolts should be tightened to 125 ft. lbs. of torque - NOT 200. You will need a big torque wrench to do this.

Rivertoys

Not the bolts that hold the arms, the heim joint nut itself, is what I'm talking about. It's a huge nut that you set after acheiving the proper length of the arm .... you know what I mean?

The instructions said it needed to be torqued to 200 because that gives it preload.. so something along those lines.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not the bolts that hold the arms, the heim joint nut itself, is what I'm talking about. It's a huge nut that you set after acheiving the proper length of the arm .... you know what I mean?

The instructions said it needed to be torqued to 200 because that gives it preload.. so something along those lines.

Ok, you're referring to the jam nuts. Man, I don't know if there's any really good way to tighten them up other than with a big crescent wrench like you said you have. That alone is about all I have been able to do. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah I don't know how you would tighten them with a torque wrench. I just tightened them as best I could with my crescent wrench. Nowhere near 200 I can guarantee that.

Rivertoys

Ok, you're referring to the jam nuts. Man, I don't know if there's any really good way to tighten them up other than with a big crescent wrench like you said you have. That alone is about all I have been able to do. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

OK cool, it makes me feel better just knowing that I'm not the only one that handled that in the way I did. Thanks.

bl17z90

Didnt evo come out with a replacement jam nut that had a set screw that hekd it down pretty well

Paws

They make a tool called crows foot. Someone on here pointed it out but if you get these you should be able to crank on them with a torque bar or breaker bar.

I think RK uses 1in and 1.25 inch for the jam nuts.

I took mine into 4wheel parts after the install and should have asked how they did it. I wasn't pleased at the job they did as they missed tightening the front drag link.

I've always have been a nonbeliever in taking things to shops to get fixed. If I don't to it myself its hard to trust the other person. I've been burned to many times in the past. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom