Tire Damage Question Allowable Tread Depth

Any sense how much of a delta you can have on tread depth provided you have the same model and size of tire?

Few days ago driving home on the highway, 100KM/hr, at night, raining (yes dark and stormy night :grayno:) No pot hole was hit, normal tire hum sounded odd, then the back end got real loose on me. Go the Jeep slowed and into the right lane...no shoulder to pull over, no choice and to exit highway.

Within 700 meters, I'm safely off the road, with the driver rear flat as a pancake.

-All 5 tires are Mickey MTZ P3 size 317/70/17
-I've owned them since new, always done 5 tire rotation every 5,000KM
-All 5 aired to 33PSI
-All have 81,000KM on them.

Got the tire changed, and got soaked doing so. Inspected the tire...did not break the bead, no hammers, screw drivers, nails, bungee cord hooks...nothing in the tire.
On the inside sidewall, within the side biters area, on the chassis side of the tire I have loss of air....a split or some kind of puncture!? Maybe a defect.

My tire warranty will cover me and replace we a brand new tire, no cost to me.WHEW!!

My current tire depths on the remaining 4 tires are as follows, and they seem consistent across the tread:

PF = 16/32
PR = 15/32
DF = 16/32
DR = 16/32

The new tire should have 19/32.

Can damage be done to the drive train with a difference in depths?

Do I just put the new out on the tire carrier, and leave it there and do the 4 tire rotation?

Do I put one of the 16/32 tire on the DR and the new on the DP as continue 5 dire rotation?

Better to put it up front on the non-drive axle?

With 5 tire rotations, one tire sits out every rotation for 5K any how.

Thanks

Ddays

Hooked
I'd throw the new one of the spare mount and return it to the rotation sequence when you get 4 new tires. Just do a 4 tire rotation in the meantime.

jdofmemi

Only a 3/32 difference? I would not over think it too much.

You are not locked in 4WD on pavement, and the differential will accommodate a slight difference with no problem.

Locked in 4WD on a hard surface would present a problem, but I'm pretty sure that's not how you drive.

Edit

81,000 km and only 3 to 4/32 tread wear? Those tires wear like iron!

Only a 3/32 difference? I would not over think it too much.

You are not locked in 4WD on pavement, and the differential will accommodate a slight difference with no problem.

Locked in 4WD on a hard surface would present a problem, but I'm pretty sure that's not how you drive.

Edit

81,000 km and only 3 to 4/32 tread wear? Those tires wear like iron!

LOL...My Jeeps sees mostly DD on the highway, like you said, not locked in 4WD on the highway. Maybe a few KM to get up and over the snow banks on the on ramp....but please no more winter!

I did a double take on my tread gauge....just now.

If you're OCD about it just throw it on the spare and ignore it, otherwise like they said it wont hurt anything, Id put it on the back axle.

Just got my warranty replacement tire today. Seems the tread depth is a bit deeper then I'd remembered. Brand new I measured 21/32 of an inch.

That now makes a delta of 5/32 of an inch from the other 4 vs new. I just put the new tire out back on the tire carrier for now.

On 81,000 KM I have 75% tread left (21/32" vs 16/32')....bummer would like to continue the 5 rotation, and push the life of these tires. Realize tire wear is lot linear....guess I have 1 of 5 new tires already now :clap2:

JJ151

Just got my warranty replacement tire today. Seems the tread depth is a bit deeper then I'd remembered. Brand new I measured 21/32 of an inch.

That now makes a delta of 5/32 of an inch from the other 4 vs new. I just put the new tire out back on the tire carrier for now.

On 81,000 KM I have 75% tread left (21/32" vs 16/32')....bummer would like to continue the 5 rotation, and push the life of these tires. Realize tire wear is lot linear....guess I have 1 of 5 new tires already now :clap2:

Look at it this way. You’ll only need to by 3 tires when those wear out. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom