Spangler Hills OHV & Olancha Sand Dunes

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cindy and I got a chance to head back up to Lone Pine to do some work and on our way up, we decided to make a detour to explore some of the trails out in the Spangler Hills OHV area. Located southeast of Ridgecrest and south of Trona, this OHV area is covered with large boulders that stand straight up like Moai statues on Easter island and is designated as an open area where you can pretty much take your vehicle up and over anything it's capable of. And, while much of the terrain is more suited for motorcycles and ATV's, there are some fun trails and rocks that you can take a Jeep on and have some fun. Here are a few pics from our day out at Spangler Hills.

Gotta love the wide open stretches of desert highways you can find up north...
main.php

Pull off at the Wagon Wheel staging area at Spangler Hills...
main.php

Near the entrance, there was a big ledge that looked really tempting to climb - gonna have to come back with friends...
main.php

Many of the boulders out here are sculpted in shapes that really look like creatures - what do you see?
main.php

Rubicat having some fun driving around all the rock piles...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Leaving the rocks behind, we decided to explore some of the Jeep trails leading back into the hills...
main.php

Along the way, we found the old St. Elmo mine and decided to take a peek inside...
main.php

Circling around, Rubicat couldn't resist playing on some more boulders...
main.php

main.php

Rubicat parked next to one of the many Moai like boulders...
main.php

Driving through a pair...
main.php

Time to do a little more playing on the rocks...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And I just repainted these...
main.php

main.php

Some of the boulders in the area had these cool daisy like flower patterns on them...
main.php

After our fun on the rocks, we headed further up north and out to the Olancha Sand Dunes - or should I say, "sand dune" as there's really only one...
main.php

main.php

Unlike most of the sand dunes we've been on, the sand here is very coarse and firm and because of it, the waves on it are quite different from what you would expect to see...
main.php

Up on top...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Rubicat tracks...
main.php

Walking along the razor edge...
main.php

Looking back toward the Sierra's...
main.php

Sculpted by nature...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Okay, so there was another dune out there and we drove on top of it too...
main.php

Watching the sun go drop below the Sierra's...
main.php

Heading out, we made a quick stop over the old Dirty Socks Spring which is located along the shores of the Owens Dry Lake. Amazingly, the pool is still filled with warm stinky water...
main.php

Runoff from the pool filled up this small pond - shot looking north...
main.php

Finishing up the day with a cold one at our favorite dinner spot - The Pizza Factory...
main.php

The following day - Time to get some work done...
main.php

Well, that's about it. I hope you enjoyed our trip out to Spangler Hills and the Olancha Sand Dunes. :cool:

GCM 2

Nice!

Looks like a great time out there exploring some beautiful terrain! :thinking: but how did Jim's Mopar "loaner drag car" make it out there?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a great time out there exploring some beautiful terrain! :thinking: but how did Jim's Mopar "loaner drag car" make it out there?

Magic!! :D

Nah, he trailered it up. We were helping him out with a photo shoot before it goes back to Detroit. It's one hell of a badass car.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Looks very fun! Its time I get a lift and some lockers, lm sick of seeing people rock crawl its about time I do it. haha Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

GCM 2

Magic!! :D

Nah, he trailered it up. We were helping him out with a photo shoot before it goes back to Detroit. It's one hell of a badass car.

Very cool! I love that car and I sure hope you can share some of the photos......but I understand if you can't, some of his projects for the overlords back in motor city are often kept pretty low key ;)

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Awesome pictures Eddie and cindy, thank you for sharing. Your pictures always reminds me of everything i am missing working all the time.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool! I love that car and I sure hope you can share some of the photos......but I understand if you can't, some of his projects for the overlords back in motor city are often kept pretty low key ;)

Actually, when all is said and done, we should have some video footage we can show :yup:

I bet this was kinda hard to do. ;)

:cheesy: Okay, in all fairness, we drove over a few too :D

Looks like a great place to explore! I really want to move up north!

Well, if nothing else, we'll have to plan a trip and show you around :yup:

I really like the black and white photos.

jkpete

That's what I was thinking but ridgecrest has one too. Not sure if they went farther north or back south.

jkpete

The owner of both of those is a member of this forum. :) it is amazing food. I go there every time I go home to ridgecrest.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We went to the one in Lone Pine. We love the Officer Pino pizza they have there. If the owner really a member of this forum and happens to see this, let me just say you have amazingly good food!! :thumb:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
We went to the one in Lone Pine. We love the Officer Pino pizza they have there. If the owner really a member of this forum and happens to see this, let me just say you have amazingly good food!! :thumb:

I was working in Lone Pine for 6 month and would eat there at least 2 times a week......:thumb:

Top Bottom