15" or 17" wheels?

JethroJK

So since this whole Jeep world is new and it seems like a deep hole of info as I climb into all the do's and don'ts I have yet another question, 15 or 17 inch wheels?

I have read many forums but none really answer what I am looking for. So which is better for a 2012 JKUR manual tranny and is a daily driver with weekend wheeling?

Pros and cons??

bl17z90

I am pretty new to this too but from what i have picked up it seems like 15's were once the way to go and over the years the prefered rim size got bigger even to 16.5 at one time and now 17's seem to be the standard

JethroJK

I agree. From what I understand 15 was the standard rim size on the TJ. Now there are some people in 2010+ JKs running 15s with 33s or 35s. There are still some pros to this but cons too just trying to see if any of the people that have been doing this for awhile can provide some insight before I buy what I think I am going to buy.

StrizzyChris

with 15's you can find a ton of tires and they are cheaper to buy as well. BUT there are very few 15" wheels that will clear the brake calipers and some tie rods will be an issue as well. 17" wheels are becoming very popular for tire makers to develop around. lots of variety as well, but a little more expensive.

JethroJK

with 15's you can find a ton of tires and they are cheaper to buy as well. BUT there are very few 15" wheels that will clear the brake calipers and some tie rods will be an issue as well. 17" wheels are becoming very popular for tire makers to develop around. lots of variety as well, but a little more expensive.

Yes, from what I have read 2012 went with a larger brake caliper. I didn't think about tie rods. I have found a list that fit and your right, it is minimal. The Black Rock D Windows are listed and they are what I wanted in the 17. So no loss there. Just not sure if it is worth the change from a 17 to a 15. Seems like the market is 17 not 15.

gouacats

I have 15s and 33x12.5r15 Duratracs. I'm happy with them. The Discount Tire MB wheels fit with no problems.

RockyJk

I got 15s and while i do like em there really isn't alot of tires in sizes bigger than 35s if ur plannin on like 37s and bigger id go with the 17s more tire choices...

JethroJK

I got 15s and while i do like em there really isn't alot of tires in sizes bigger than 35s if ur plannin on like 37s and bigger id go with the 17s more tire choices...

No, no plans going to 37s. Three kids, one going to college and it being my daily driver and weekend warrior I think 35 will be plenty. I am going to put a 2.5 TF BB, 15 or 17s with 35s. Getting a tire carrier and a front bumper. Should keep me happy for a week or two. Lol

RockyJk

No, no plans going to 37s. Three kids, one going to college and it being my daily driver and weekend warrior I think 35 will be plenty. I am going to put a 2.5 TF BB, 15 or 17s with 35s. Getting a tire carrier and a front bumper. Should keep me happy for a week or two. Lol

Oh alright well seems like the 15s would be good for you :thumbup: here's mine on 35s with 15x10 wheels 1363232984698.jpg

JethroJK

Oh alright well seems like the 15s would be good for you :thumbup: here's mine on 35s with 15x10 wheels View attachment 19733

Nice! The beach, wow! We miss the water. Navy family stationed in NM. Fish out of water you could say.

I have noticed a lot of the 15" setups are on 2 door. I have a 4 door but think it would look nice.

Thanks for the pic, I might have made up my mind. I looked on discount and the KM2 in a 35/12.5-15 are 234.00 and the Black Rock D window 15x8 are 115.00. With my discount and taxes can walk out with them for about 1700.00. Not too bad.

RockyJk

Nice! The beach, wow! We miss the water. Navy family stationed in NM. Fish out of water you could say.

I have noticed a lot of the 15" setups are on 2 door. I have a 4 door but think it would look nice.

Thanks for the pic, I might have made up my mind. I looked on discount and the KM2 in a 35/12.5-15 are 234.00 and the Black Rock D window 15x8 are 115.00. With my discount and taxes can walk out with them for about 1700.00. Not too bad.

How is the highway ride on the 15s?

That's not bad at all! The ride is good does tend to wander a bit but I learned to live with it, im a fan of the old school big tire small rim look which is why i did this setup:thumbup:

zip04

I'm interested in seeing pics and hearing how you like the 35's on 15's. I have a 2008 4-door with 3" lift and am trying to make this same decision.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The pros of 15" wheels is that there is a big selection of tires that will fit them and they are often times a bit cheaper.
The cons is that on a JK, clearing the bigger brakes leaves you with fewer options of wheels that'll clear them. You will also see more sidewall flex which isn't something you want on road or even on off camber situations.

I personally prefer 17" wheels for the above mentioned and really, it's become such a common size that you can find just as many tires for it and at prices that are similar or the same as ones that'll fit 15" wheels.

JethroJK

The pros of 15" wheels is that there is a big selection of tires that will fit them and they are often times a bit cheaper.
The cons is that on a JK, clearing the bigger brakes leaves you with fewer options of wheels that'll clear them. You will also see more sidewall flex which isn't something you want on road or even on off camber situations.

I personally prefer 17" wheels for the above mentioned and really, it's become such a common size that you can find just as many tires for it and at prices that are similar or the same as ones that'll fit 15" wheels.

Eddie I appreciate the info. I like the 15" look but based on selection, future upgrades, brakes, and what you mentioned about sidewall flex, I am leaning towards the 17". Believe a 17x8 Black Rock D Window because of budget and either a 315 Duratrac or 35" Dunlop Fierce Attitudes because of budget. I am thinking more the Duratrac.

Top Bottom