Can you weld aluminum to steel

silverbackjk

I have a genright aluminum tire carrier and want to cut the latch brackets off and weld them to the EVO rear skins. Will this work?

jhires

Also note that contact between two dissimilar metals can cause galvanic corrosion (also called electrolysis) between them. If they are in a relatively sealed area I suppose it's not a problem. But exposure to salt and water (think winter time salted roads) would set up the perfect environment for it.

Dave_g

You can bolt an aluminum plate to steel, you still risk bi-metalic corrosion. But then you are free to weld aluminum to aluminum.

ssh6314

Found these photos on a welding forum it just brakes apart once you weld it.

View attachment 19729

View attachment 19730

This is because all that's happening In this picture is heat melting the metals because of the heat. But they won't fuse. You could break that with your hand. And most times you'll just burn through the aluminum. You cab weld steel to steel. Aluminum to aluminum. Stainless steel to stainless steel. But not stainless to regular steel etc. Metal is picky. And if you try to mix your going to get something that is either clearly not going to work. Otter. Something that looks like it might be ok. Buts going to break the weld the first bump you hit in the road.

Sent from my EVO-3d using WAYALIFE app.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
im surprised they use alum for the latch plate, i would think they would just use the alum in the carrier itself and nothing else.

TacPen

Banned
You can bolt an aluminum plate to steel, you still risk bi-metalic corrosion. But then you are free to weld aluminum to aluminum.

This might be a good way to get it to work, you can simply use plastic / rubber / duron spacers or washers where the two plates contact with the bolts to minimize the possibility of corrosion.

You can also do a spray on coating on the aluminum plate where it will contact steel.

Top Bottom