Lockers or Not

shaunepaul

My name is shaun, and im so new to this life style of jeepin. I dont off-road to much so im curious if installing lockers in my 2011 wrangler sport is worth it or not.

my_jk

Hi shaun, if you think you will start to do more off roading I would get them, but if don't really get out on the trails I don't think it worth the extra money :twocents:

Dixon4x4

If you do not go off-road much, I would say it depends on what type if off-roading you do when you go. If it is only moderate off roading I would save the money and just do other upgrades to your Jeep like sway bar disconnects, bumpers and such.

09 JKU
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Hi shaun, if you think you will start to do more off roading I would get them, but if don't really get out on the trails I don't think it worth the extra money :twocents:

I agree, although once you get out you'll probably be hooked and want to go rock crawling. :yup: 👍

Ray ⛺

jelliott076

Hey Shaun! Welcome to the Wayalife! I agree with these ofther posts, put your money into something else on your rig and figure out what kind of trails you're going to be running. Where exactly is Estevan? Isn't that up around Saskatchewan?? There have to be plento of trails where you'll eventually need the lockers. Start slow: Lift, Tires, Skid plates/Rockers, ....etc. Lockers are very helpful, but if you're going to spend the money on them, I figure save up and do the Dynatrac axles with the ARB air lockers... GO BIG!

Rivertoys

I never owned a 4x4 with lockers, and I have done ton of off-roading and exploring in my 42 years. I have had to turn back on a trail or two, but it's like the old saying about fishing, it was still a better day than working. LOL....

That said, my JK is probably the most capable 4x4 I've ever owned, and I'm ready to try some lockers....but I'm in no rush. I think getting used to not having them probably makes you a better driver.... but that's just a guess since I've never had them.

gyoe

I've been off-roading mine for 6yrs now n I don't have lockers.. there r times I wished I had them but I love the challenge of doing things without the lockers..

my buddy has a rubicon n when we hit the trails his wife tells him to not use the lockers, cause its unfair to the rest of us that don't have them..:)

Hatewagon

Hey Shaun. Ive been wheeling for years. I had a locker in my old sami but i havent had one in my Jeep yet. Ive done some pretty wild trails without them. There were spots i wished i did, but ive had a blast challenging myself without them. Its not something you need right away and depends on how much you wheel. My wife and i wheel almost every second weekend so next month the jeep will finally see lockers installed. Get out and enjoy and build as you see fit.

Tackerdown

Banned
Welcome to WAYALIFE . Maybe someone can shed some light on the way the limited slip works on the JK I believe its different than the standard system and isn't even called limited slip? I thought I read a post about it and it may be in the newer JK's as an upgrade. :idontknow:

Skirmish

The newer JK's come with "Brakelock" which I believe uses the computer to apply braking to the spinning wheel allowing the wheel with traction to get power. It's kinda the same effect as left foot braking when you loose traction but the brake is only applied the the wheel that needs it.

It does work on the trail, I've seen it, but you are sacrificing power as the motor is working against the brake as you lose power with an LSD. If you aren't raising a tire off road very often it is a good option to save you money and stress on the driveline over lockers but lockers are far superior for traction and retaining power.

Tackerdown

Banned
The newer JK's come with "Brakelock" which I believe uses the computer to apply braking to the spinning wheel allowing the wheel with traction to get power. It's kinda the same effect as left foot braking when you loose traction but the brake is only applied the the wheel that needs it.

It does work on the trail, I've seen it, but you are sacrificing power as the motor is working against the brake as you lose power with an LSD. If you aren't raising a tire off road very often it is a good option to save you money and stress on the driveline over lockers but lockers are far superior for traction and retaining power.

Thank I couldn't remember . I was trying to tell my friend about it and he looked at me like I was a nut case.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ksk

If you dont wheel much your brake lockers will work just fine ..even with no mods youlle be surprised where a stock JK can go...

That being said, sooner than later youlle get the "bug" and end up with the whole shabang.

KSK

Last edited:

couplands

Hi,

Over in the UK, this is often referred to "Traction Control" and works in conjunction with the ABS systems - effectively providing the opposite effect.

I have it on my Land Rovers, and I have to say its worked really well. I've never had lockers, but not got stuck so far.

Having said that, we don't have so many rock crawling opportunities here, just lots of mud..;-)

Cheers

Simon

MonkeyWrench

Ill jump in here since its pretty relevant. I will be purchasing a JK in the nearish future and have been debating on if really need to go for a Rubicon, which has lockers built in versus purchasing a lower model and doing aftermarket lockers at a later time. I live in Florida, so there are very little rocks here to climb, but mud and deep sand are pretty common. I currently have an XJ with 2.5" lift and have no real issues getting around on the trails I've been to. Although with a JK I may become a bit more adventurous.

Would it be beneficial to go for the Rubicon right from the start or go with a lower model and add on other aftermarket parts with the money saved? :rock:

mackey

I think it all depends on how much and what kind of off roading you are going to do. IMO, anyone who does moderate to severe trails wants and uses lockers. If you will do these trails and want lockers, then plan your build out ahead of time. If you are not going to 37s or 40 tires, a Rubicon model would be great. If you want 40 tires, you need Dana 60 axles, so don't get a Rubicon and save money. Then just upgrade to 60s and 40s and add the ARB locker with the 60s. To sum it up, figure out what kind of trails you will do and plan your build before you buy. Good luck.

MonkeyWrench

I think it all depends on how much and what kind of off roading you are going to do. IMO, anyone who does moderate to severe trails wants and uses lockers. If you will do these trails and want lockers, then plan your build out ahead of time. If you are not going to 37s or 40 tires, a Rubicon model would be great. If you want 40 tires, you need Dana 60 axles, so don't get a Rubicon and save money. Then just upgrade to 60s and 40s and add the ARB locker with the 60s. To sum it up, figure out what kind of trails you will do and plan your build before you buy. Good luck.

Thanks! I dont see 40s in my future at all. Unless I move out west somehow but I dont plan on that. I think I would most likely end up running a 3" lift and maybe 35s. AFAIK there are not to many heavy duty offroad trails here in Florida. Everything is pretty much mud or sand. There is one ORV park in Ocala that I may end up venturing out to at some point, but it is a good 2 hours away. Id most likely be doing some offroad exploring, camping, etc.

Rob

Thanks! I dont see 40s in my future at all. Unless I move out west somehow but I dont plan on that. I think I would most likely end up running a 3" lift and maybe 35s. AFAIK there are not to many heavy duty offroad trails here in Florida. Everything is pretty much mud or sand. There is one ORV park in Ocala that I may end up venturing out to at some point, but it is a good 2 hours away. Id most likely be doing some offroad exploring, camping, etc.

I could be wrong in my thinking but I would think the Rubi 4:1 transfer case would be overkill for the muddy sandy trails typical to FL. I love my Rubi though.

Top Bottom